Has anyone ever gone on vaction and left their baby at home with a family member?

A really good friend of mine just surprised me and my husband with a trip for a week because she wants us to have some alone time to strengthen our marriage. its for june so our baby will be 8 months old then. do you think she is too young to be without her parents for that long? Is it possible that she would forget who we are (sorry if that sounds stupid)?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Just for Fun

• she is not going to forget who you are i say do it.....its a free trip are you gna be able to afford one like wat ever it is they are sending you on ...id go for it if someone offered it to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I haven't done this but I really WANT to!! Your baby will be just fine. She won't forget you at all. I went to my hometown for a month while my husband stayed home and when he walked through the door my dd was so excited to see him! And she was 10 months old.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:31 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Personally I wouldn't do it. However we don't have family that live near us so if, say, my mom came to stay, she would basically be a stranger to my daughter and I wouldn't leave her for more than a couple hours. If my mom lived near and she saw her on a regular basis and knew her, I would maybe go away for a weekend, but not a full week. Not until she was a little older. Maybe 2 or 3.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My dh and I have never done this but we do let ds go to my mom's for about four days a month. It gives us some alone time. and ds is only a phone call away if we get worried!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Yes. We went snow skiing for 4 days. We left our son, then 7 months old, home with his grandparents. They all had a large time and we got to recharge with good friends. That son turned 26 today and doesn't ever remember that we went skiing without him. We also went to Las Vegas and left our 10 year old with friends for a week. It was our 25th wedding aniversary. We called every day. He had a ball without us.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Yes, my ex-husband and I went to St Louis for 5 days, and my family kept my daughter for all but one day (had to get a sitter for one day). My daughter was around 9 or so months old then. No your baby isn't going to forget you!! You're mommy and daddy!! But you do deserve a break!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I think that's a little too long. A weekend I can see.I couldn't be away from my son that long.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I've done it more than once. It's definitely harder for some parents than others. It wasn't terribly hard for me - I knew I needed to get away for a few days or so, and I was ready to headdive back into parenting and was a better mommy when I came back relaxed and refreshed! If you're worried about baby not seeing you for that long, get skype & whatnot set up ahead of time so that you can "talk" with your baby each morning or evening, for a few minutes each day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• We left our DD with my mom this past fall for 5 days. I missed her like crazy, but it was really good for us. I think less than 7-8 months may be a little young, but I think you'll be fine. If you have a laptop, and your mom has a webcam, I would suggest getting Skype set up now. Then when you are gone, if you have internet access you can do a webcam call and see you child. That helped us a lot- seeing DD's face when she saw us on the computer. Hubby will be traveling for work internationally soon, and this is how we will help DD, because she is a HUGE Daddy's girl!
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:29 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Your child wont even REMEMBER..Go have fun
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 11:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2010