how to get him to use the potty???? HELP!!!

so my 20 month old son will have NOTHING to do with the potty. I don't expect him at only 20 months to use it and be "potty trained" but it would be nice if he would at lease go or TRY to go when I sit him on there. He just gets mad and wants off. Any advice on how to get him interested? just to get the process started so he knows what the potty is for! I have had him watch his daddy go so that maybe it would make him want to go but it's not working!! Thanks!!!

AshleyG.

Asked by AshleyG. at 10:25 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my experience (12 years as a nurse at a daycare/preK) you can't "make" them be interested. You have to wait until he is interested. With boys, that is sometimes later than parents want. Having him hang out with daddy is the best idea. But put the potty seat away, don't talk about it and maybe pull it back out in 4-6 months...and see what happens then. Good luck to you!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• he is to young and is not ready.

every kid is different, do not force, make it a game.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I don't know if you have done this already: cut off the pictures that comes in the box of the potty and put them up at your toddlers eye level. Pictures seem to help my toddler. Also try to create a routine after breakfast or before taking a bath.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Wait until "He" is ready, ultimately it is his decission. You don't want to be banging your head against the wall, it isn't worth it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:32 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My DD has been scared of the potty lately too, and this is after she has gone a few times in the potty. I'm told now the recommendations are not to begin until at LEAST 24 months for girls and later for boys. (My SIL is a potty training behavior specialist for autistic children) You can introduce the potty and let them play with it, but he sounds like he's not ready yet. Wait a few months and try again. Let him tell you when he's ready
    musichollie

Answer by musichollie at 11:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2010