• In the Spotlight:

When did the training wheels come off?

We took the training wheels off my sons bike today. He's six years old, and insisted that he didn't need them anymore. I was really surprised with how well he did. He couldn't get started on his own, but once we gave him a little push he could go for a good minute or so before falling. And every time he fell, he just kept saying, "Well, it just takes practice.". He had a surprisingly good attitude about it, since he usually gets frustrated and angry when things don't go his way. It was so much fun being outside and watching him try, try, and try again.

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 10:44 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• We just took my sons off a few months ago and he is 6. I think there is a large "normal" age range for when kids can do this.....I have heard of kids from 2-10 going without them.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:47 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• my daughter is 5, she has one training wheel. she didn't use the right one at all, but she is still somewhat dependant on the left one. she& her friend who is 8 are both going to try riding without training wheels this summer. i didn't ride a 2 wheeler til i was 8 either.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 11:48 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• my oldest just took hers off...but she's not a bike kid. she was 8 when we took them off. she's a rollerblade kid not a bike.

my middle dd was 4.5 and took off like a shot - the training wheels were slowing her down. she's the athlete in the family. lol

youngest - not yet but she seems to be pretty confident about riding bike - she's 3.5
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I was 4 when my training wheels came off, DS is 3 and I am hoping by the end of summer he will be ready.
    momoftatertots

Answer by momoftatertots at 1:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My middle son was 8 when we took them off, my daughter was 6 - my current husband (then boyfriend) taught them how to ride because their dad had never taken the time and I was too scared to let them try.
    My oldest son has autism and we've gotten him an adult trike because he just can't get the whole balance thing but he outgrew bikes with training wheels.

Answer by missanc at 2:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• my son just turned six and still has them on... . and insists on keeping it that way... so not time soon i guess!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• We have not used them. I never had them as a kid and always though it was harder to ride with them than without. My oldest is 4 and learning how to ride, he has no trainers and we don't plan on getting any.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My son is 7 and is struggling on two wheels... I hope it clicks soon!
    iloveconan

Answer by iloveconan at 4:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2010