Getting my Toddler to sleep at night?

Hi all, I have a 2 1 /2 yr old toddler, she will be 3 in May. We go thru these "spurts" where she sleeps all night for a few nights and then we have nights (few in a row just about) where she wakes up sometime during the middle of the night and I have a hard time getting her back to sleep. She will wake herself up with a coughing fit, then she will vomit some mucas and then she is fine. I do not understand why we go thru this, I just want it to end... any ideas? Last night was the horror, she was up at 12:30 am, I calmed her down, got her back to sleep by about 1am, then only to have her fuss a few times during the night and wake back up at 4am. At that point, I gave up b/c I had very little sleep and put her in bed with me. She slept till 8am this morning, but I dont like doing the bed thing with me nor do I like taking her out of her crib at night, but it seems its the only way she will sleep! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaddyBug

Asked by CaddyBug at 10:52 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Given what you said about the coughing fits and the mucous she may have some allergy issues. Maybe try giving her an OTC allergy medication and/or limiting milk/dairy late in the day.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 11:37 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Sounds like she might have a cold or even allergies. Even I get woken up at night coughing if mucus is dripping down the back of my throat. You should take her to the Dr and get it checked out. She may have allergies that need to be taken care of so both of you can sleep.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• That totally sounds like a milk allergy or some other allergy to me, too.

If she feels sick of course she's not gonna sleep very well ;) And if she sleeps fine apart from you when she's healthy.. I don't see how her getting in bed with you when she doesn't feel good is horrible. As long as it is isn't a habit that moves into when she feels fine, I don't see a problem with it and don't think it will cause any problems. I remember getting into bed with my parents when I was sick as a child, and I was GREAT about staying in bed.

Allergist! Pronto!
    Anonymous

• She's vomiting at night and you're upset that she's not sleeping? I'd deal with this coughing and vomiting mess first.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2010