Soaking your dishes???

So my MIL soaks everything for like a day before washing the dishes up. To me this is just disgusting. Doesn't the soaking like this foster bacteria growth. And besides now you are just dirtying up the water (seeing as she doesn't drain it and get fresh to wash them). What do you all think? Do you soak your dishes and is this okay? or are you all thinking like me and saying EEEEWWWWW?????!!!!!!!

Kirs

Asked by Kirs at 11:04 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• OMG Yuck LOL

I soak dishes sometimes, when there's something in particular that's sticking. But I just run really hot soapy water, let them sit for a while, and when the water is cool enough, I wash and rinse them. If they are plates and utensils I put them in the dishwasher still, but pots and pans I just rinse and put them on the counter to dry.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 1:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My husband soaks them but ot for a full day. Maybe an hour. What he does is fill the sink with water that is as hot as possible and when it cools down enough he washes the dishes. But I agree with you, any longer than that is gross.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I do pans with stuck on stuff,but thats just the pan in the sink with water in it,not in the dishpan. I'll do all the other stuff and save that one for the next time. Yes,that practice is nasty and germy! I can imagine the smell!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I soak mine for a little bit if its a pan with food stuck to it...but to soak everything for a whole day just sounds yucky lol
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• i only soak the post that need it. I think it is kind of gross to wake up to a dirty kitchen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• This practice of her's grosses me out! And yes it smells!
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 11:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I only soak pot or pan that food is stuck on it.

The dishes no, Why? I have a brush that pushes that hard food off.

The people I do know that do soak their dishes is because they do not want to do the dishes and will get to it later. Just lazy, that is it. no big deal.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:13 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I fill the sink with hot water and put all the dishes in the sink and let them soak while I clean off the table and put things away, then I wash the dishes and air dry them. Doesn't sound to appealling to let them sit there all night and then wash them in the same water.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 11:16 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• If there is food stuck to the dish or pot I will soak it for a bit. but not a whole day, then wash the dishs in the same naste water. EEEEWWWW YYYYUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!

Answer by louise2 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 28, 2010