would you honestly wait until your 1 year old has a 108 degree fever before taking them in to the ER?!!

There is no reason to go to the ER until a fever gets up to 106 or over. A fever isn't high until it is 105. Fever isn't dangerous until 108. Here is info from Denver Children's hospital about home care, fevers, and when to go to the ER:

This is what one mother on here said when i said i took my daughter to the ER for a temp of 103.7 she is one.

Would anyone here honestly wait until higher than this to take their toddler? let alone waiting until 108 freakin degrees!?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's really strange because I was always told that 104 was high and needed attention. That woman is psychotic and going to let her children's brains cook in their heads.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Mar. 28, 2010

• The brain can begin to "cook" at 105. If anyone allows a child's temperature to go above 105, they are risking brain damage or death.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 12:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I don't agree with those numbers but I also would not take my daughter to the ER for a fever anyway.. There are many proven ways to knock down a fever such as motrin or tylenot, a tepid bath and limiting clothing. Even a popsicle would help in conjunction with this. You can get the fever down and take the child to the DR. if it doesn't stay down within a couple of days. It would also depend on any other symtoms the child had.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• 108 is incompatible with life...brain tissue begins to die at 106. There are some real idiots on here.
    Anonymous

• They mean if it gets high and whay your doing at home hasn't helped. And mostly frefering to the over one set. My son has had his temp. pop up to 104 a few times...before meds or anything. I gave him tylenol and waited. After a bit, his fever was down, so, no visit to the doc. You aren't even supposed to start meds until 102. So, 106 isn't a big jump from there.
    Anonymous

• ive never heard this before which is why im asking....and i always wonder how high a fever gets until you should take them in.

heres what she said
    "There is no reason to go to the ER until a fever gets up to 106 or over. A fever isn't high until it is 105. Fever isn't dangerous until 108"
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• 106 IS a big jump from 102 thats ridiculous!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't take my child to ER for a 103.7 fever. I'd call the doctor though or nurseline. But if all they have is a fever and they are acting perfectly fine then chances are they will be ok. If they start to get lethargic I would take them in. But a fever all on it's own doesn't warrant an ER visit.
    Anonymous

• i took her in for 103.7 fever because it spiked out of no where, stayed while i had given her medicine, she kept shaking, wouldnt sleep or eat or drink.

THAT warrants an er visit to me!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Well here is a cookie for you! If you can afford it, go for it!
    Anonymous