Where to start on homeschooling

So im in the state of NY and i want to home sc hool my son, hes 2 right now, but i want to get ready!!! can someone lead me in the right direction?

petiteNprego

Asked by petiteNprego at 12:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in

• I want to know this too since my soon to be 5 year old is going to be going to school in the fall I am going to have lots of time to work with my then 2.5 year old and I want to start doing things with her
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• :) i hope some people answer haha ive searched and i just want to find like a list of books to start with and stuff like that
    petiteNprego

Answer by petiteNprego at 12:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• The book "The Three Rs" be Ruth Beechick was recommended to me by a lot of people. There are also a lot of books on homeschooling at the library. I started with the preschool workbooks you can find at just about any store when my son was maybe 2 1/2 or 3. He really enjoyed them. Other kids have different learning types so I wouldn't push it if they don't enjoy it. Then I requested catalogs of different curriculums. I had one catalog sent in the mail, I don't know how they got my name, but it's enormous, like a big phonebook. It's called The Rainbow resource center and has many different things you can buy from preschool up through highschool plus short reviews of most of them. They are online rainbowresource.com. I also recently went to a homeschool book fair. I found out about it because I know others who homeschool but I don't know how to find out where one is in your area, it's helpful to look around if you can find one.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Check out your local laws first. Then check the library and see if they have any books on homeschooling. Look around your area for homeschool groups. Look for different options in curriculum. Rainbow resources has a great catalog. In the beginning it's going to be a lot of trial and error until you find the style that suits you and your child.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Here are the laws for NY. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/New_York.pdf I would get a book (or do research online) on the methods of homeschooling after that. There are quite a few groups on here that offer great support. I would also advise against buying a full curiculum pack (if you use curriculum) since it is often not a perfect fit and you will waste money.
    Tf1990

Answer by Tf1990 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• there is no need for a lot of deskwork; pre-school age kids aren't ready to sit still for so long and learn best through play.
    you can make patterns of color/size/shape with wooden stringing beads, teach directional words by asking them to place on object IN the box, ON the box, UNDER the box, BESIDE the box, etc.
    read lots
    make long strings of alliteration to focus them on phonics: say "ping pong paddle", ask them to add words that start with that sound: pink and purple polka dotted ping pong paddle.
    playing simple board games teaches counting and one-to-one correspondence.
    have treasure hunts through the house for things that are a certain color or shape.
    do crafts, let them color and paint and use scissors.
    observe the calendar and weather every day, recite the days of the week and months of the year
    google pre-literacy and pre-math skills for more ideas of what to cover and how.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:31 PM on Mar. 30, 2010

• Two things I recommend as a homeschool mom of 5...1. Get the book "To Train Up a Child" by Michael and Debi Pearl.
    2. Book on Learning Styles by Cynthia Tobias. These two books will be your guidebooks to raise your child to be happy, healthy, and enjoy learning!
    singnstitch

Answer by singnstitch at 2:44 AM on Mar. 31, 2010

• autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2010