Organic/Natural Toddler foods?

We try and give our toddler (18m) fresh fruits/veggies and organic and all-natual products when we can. Suggestions for all natural foods/snacks that are easy and won't break the bank? Doesn't necessarily have to be organic.... I just want to be able to read the label and know what everything is :-)

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 12:49 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get the book - Eating Clean for Family. by Tosca Reno.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• just plain fruit, cut up plums, berries or bananas. Yogurt. I liked the yo baby at that age because it was made with whole milk. Cheese and bread. Making your own bread is not so hard and delicious! cheese. .. I'll keep thinking I gotta check the oven.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I would stay away from the boxed stuff. They are never healthy (regardless of what the label says). Stick with fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 4:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Make or buy hummus; serve with whole grain cracker and vegetables, like cucumbers.
    Cube avocado and tofu (fun to squish)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:45 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My son LOVES eggs. Eggs and tofu is good too. Eggs and tofu and cheese is yummy too. Tofu is pretty cheap and so are eggs and they're quick to prepare. I also like tofu on a cracker with real organic strawberry jam - yum. Yogurt. I don't like yo-baby I prefer plain organic and then mix my own fruit in it (usually softened on the stove berries of some sort and then bananas), cut up fruit of varying types, cup up vegetables steamed/soft veges, whole grain organic pasta well cooked -- you can also make your own whole-grain pasta (it's cheaper to do that) it's not that hard to do but you need a pasta mill. Organic brown rice. Varying crackers etc. are wholegrain, organic, and cheap. Non-organic? I like a lot of cheeses. And I also feed my son the wholegrain goldfish. The ingredients are all easy to understand! Just read labels. If you don't know what it is, it's probably bad!
    Anonymous

• btw the goldfish are a treat type deal mainly that I let his grandma give him. lol. I won't let her give him cookies so she's like "aahh what can I give him then?!?!" so I bought goldfish =p The graham cracker goldfish, you can understand all the ingredients in that too -- vs. regular graham crackers. She likes to give him treats A LOT and so at least I picked out the treats ;)

I also have advice.. If it says 0% trans fat look at the label carefully if it has "hydrogenated" anything it still has trans fat in it.

And try to keep 75-80% of your / kids diet whole foods that are located outside of the aisles (ie: meat, dairy, eggs, produce, home-made pasta and wild rices etc.) and if you do 20%-25% processed stuff you should still be alright.. (bread, crackers, snacks, treats etc.) I try to strike a balance. I'm not perfect and some times I'm too tired to make my own pasta. lol
    Anonymous