Expansion on the PA topic last night...

"I have 8 kids, my husband works and I am a SAHM, we support our family, but if I ever needed assitance I would have no problem asking. My grandparents paid in and never saw a penny of it same for the hubby's, so look at it as if I would be getting what they rightfully should have and never did. "

People seemed to have a problem with the last sentence. Do you see this as entitlement? I can see were the word would be used, but are we not entitiled to the money we put into the system. Social Security is nothing more then a government run savings plan, if I or my family used a private bank would we not be entitled to our money? I don't see a huge difference. If that means I feel entitled to our money then I guess it does.

Just wondering about other peoples thoughts.

luckysevenwow

Asked by luckysevenwow at 1:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• Thank you i agree with you.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I don't think it's a case of "entitlement", and it annoys me how certain people throw that word around when it comes to public assistance. People on PA don't feel "entitled". They often feel embarrassed because they need assistance. They feel GRATEFUL, not entitled.

When I became disabled and was unable to pay my medical expenses, I needed medicaid badly. I didn't feel "entitled" to the help. I was thankful. Even today, my medications run about $900/month. I pay into the medicaid program (called a "Spend-Down, for those of you who think all medicaid is free!), and I pay co-pays on my prescriptions.

Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I agree with what you are saying. I missed the convo last night.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2010