I have a bad cold and bad bad congestion. Is there anything I can do? I also have high anxiety which hadn't kicked in until now that I can't breathe at night. Any help?

It's been two nights in a row that I've woken up my husband because I can't breathe and I'm so miserable. My anxiety gets really bad because I can't breathe and I'm uncomfortable.

CalfMommy

Asked by CalfMommy at 1:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should do a saline rinse of your sinuses. You can go get a can of saline from the drugstore and spray it into your sinuses. It'll help clear up your congestion. And saline is completely safe when you're pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Whenever I have a cold with bad congestion I use Vicks Vaporub. I rub it all over my chest and DH rubs it on my back. I put a little under my nose as well and it helps me sleep through the night because it opens up my sinuses.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 1:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My doctor has always said benedryl was ok to use, I could only use it if it was bedtime because it puts me to sleep but, with doctor permission it's something to try.
    Anonymous

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• I've heard mucinex is good, ask your doc first.
    tiger123

Answer by tiger123 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 29, 2010