Starting a "business"... any advice/legal help welcome

So, several angels have stolen my heart. I currently house many "rescue" pets & find permanent homes for them as it is - I am thinking of making it a "non profit" business. I am not looking to make a quick buck, but I would like to expand. There have been many animals that I have seen that I couldnt possibly take on at the moment, due to space restrictions that are sent to the local animal shelter. Although there is nothing WRONG with our shelters, they ARE overpopulated & many of these animals won't have a chance. They will not be worked with, taught obedience, and will just be "wild animals in a cage" and NO ONE will go to the pound to pick out a full grown pit bull or boxer if it's not been worked with. So far I've placed a cat, a boxer and I'm currently training a 1 y/o pit for a new family. When these animals leave here, they are housebroken, leash trained, obedience trained, play well with kids and other animals.

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• There is a place here in Boise, Idaho that is a cageless, no-kill animal shelter called Simply Cats. http://www.simplycats.org/

They started off similarly and have grown into a great business.  I have donated to them for the past 4 years.  I would love the opportunity to take more animals, but my dh won't allow me.  So I pay $75 a year to take care of one cat.  It makes me happy and I won't get kicked out of the house if I brought another cat home.

Please check out their website and call them for their success story!  I am so proud that you want to do this too!

you rock

sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 2:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Ct'd... So, now that you know where I'm going with this - how do I go about doing this? I would like to become a business (NPO) for the simple fact that I would be better able to work with the local veterinarians and such for discounted vaccines, spaying and neutering... Do you even think its worth it? I really want to do this, but I have no idea what I'm doing. Please help!!
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• no advice, but that sounds AWESOME! good for you!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Have you gotten your non profit approval?

Where are you at, do you have volunteers who can help if you need it?
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 3:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Look into grants. http://www.donorsforum.org/ is a good resource

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I have no advice either but I think this is a wonderful idea!!!!! I wish nothing but success for you!!
    ericadorsey83

Answer by ericadorsey83 at 8:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010