can you color your hair while pregnant?

I'm due for color, but just found out that I'm pregnant yesterday :). I remembered when my friend was preg she told me she's afraid to dye her hair. Is it true that I can't color it? Thanks in advance

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• It is encouraged that you do not color your hair while you are pregnant. There are chemicals that can get into your skin. Check with your doctor. Mine said no.
    sonnalynn

Answer by sonnalynn at 2:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• you "souldnt" before the 2nd tri. im 18 weeks and i do i was bored so i did no harm is ever proven from coloring your hair
    letlovegrow

Answer by letlovegrow at 2:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• What you put on your scalp is absorbed into your body. Medical experts are hesitant to claim that hair color is 100% safe because some of the chemicals are absorbed into the bloodstream. That said, few studies have linked fetal development problems with hair coloring during pregnancy. Your best bet? You can hold off coloring your hair until after the first trimester, when all of your baby's organs are developing and forming. By doing so you dramatically decrease the risk of something negative happening to your baby resulting from hair coloring.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• hair coloring used to be dangerous...but there is no harm in coloring your hair in this day and age....my daughter is completely healthy and i colored my hair 8 or 9 times while pregnant...just make sure you're in a well ventalated room
    Anonymous

• It is perfectly fine to color your hair.

If you're worried about the fumes, wear a face mask. Also it's not great to do blondes while preggo because of the hormones and what not... so be sure to let the stylist know.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 2:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• it's fine. the chemicals that used to make it so highly dangerous aren't present any more. so yes, you can. Besides, there are more fumes from the bathtub cleaners than there are most hair dies these days, and you aren't going to stop cleaning your bathroom are you>?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:43 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• As a hairstylist, I've been asked this many times. It is not the fact that it will absorb through the skin, it is the fumes that you need to worry about. I've dyed my hair for 13 years, but when I found out I was pregnant I decided it was time for one last session for the rest of the 9 months. I put on one of those painting masks and dyed my hair back to my natural color. Then didn't touch it until after my baby was born. Not only is it nice to not have to worry about it, but it quite a treat to go get your hair done after the baby is born.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 5:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• my cousin just dyed hers at 18 wks, and her baby is fine, i think its stripping or bleaching they dont want you to do.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 8:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2010