Anyone else have trouble with "sleep crying"?

I'ma first time mommy & my 5½ month old daughter has been tossing & turning in her sleep the past few nights. She just went to the doctor (she's congested), but other than that she is fine.

While she is asleep, she flips and "cries" like a whining little puppy.
She does this for a while before finally stopping, continuing to sleep then she wakes up and does it again a few times before the morning.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if anyone has any suggestions.

I make sure she is clean, changed & not hungry. I don't know what else it could be.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is actually quite common for a baby to laugh, cry, giggle, talk, babble, mumble, scream, etc. in their sleep. There are a variety of reasons why you have a baby crying in sleep. To understand the reasons, it is important to know a bit about the way a baby functions at a physiological level. Since birth, a baby is in a constant state of growth. Also, it is a fact that the younger a child is, the faster the rate is at which they grow. With all of the various changes and growing occurring in a baby's body, it is completely normal to have a baby crying in sleep.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You might try playing a CD at low volume with soothing sounds, like the ocean.
    neebug3766

• Thank You! :) That makes me feel better, I just thought something might be wrong. <3
    ClaudieOct3rd

Answer by ClaudieOct3rd at 2:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• It is a form of talking in your sleep. My youngest DD use to do it all the way up tell she was like 2 or 3. Then she was talking in her sleep after that. It is inherited, I am a sleep walker and talker.

Answer by louise2 at 2:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• It is normal to a degree for a child to cry in there sleep but does any one watch her during the day or are you a stay at home mom? If you have someone else looking after her then I would look into the care of my child just to be on the safe side other then that if you know she has been well taken care of then I wouldnt worry too much about it. My son is 3 and every once in a while he will get really sad and pout in his sleep but were talking like once every 2 or 3 months if that, hes more of a smiler in his sleep which he does atleast once or twice every few days. I only know this cause I check on him at night and sometimes we cosleep. It makes me sad though when he does pout and I usually wake him up a little to get his mind off of whatever it is and then he will go right back to sleep.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 2:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• my daughter did that alot too.
    put a pillow under the mattres in her crib so she's proped up a bit and then if you have a humitifier turn it on low like an hour before you put your baby down for bed. thats what i did and that night, and ever since, she has been able to sleep without crying.
    mandy815

Answer by mandy815 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I've been a stay at home mama since she was born :) So no one else watches her, I will try the humidifier, thank you ladies!
    ClaudieOct3rd

Answer by ClaudieOct3rd at 2:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Totally normal all 5 kids of mine did that. I wonder myself if they are dreaming about something.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Mine does that sometimes. He's really congested right now too. I took him to the doctor and she told me to use a humidifier, put vicks on his feet and cover them with socks, and to clean out his nose when he wakes up. I use Little Noses saline and it has helped a lot.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2010