I have edema is that bad for the baby??

I have edema and was told that I had to stay away from salt. Can't stand on my feet for long periods of time. I have to keep my feet propped up. So just how long can I stand? They said that I need plenty of rest and laying up with my feet propped. It sucks cause I am craving fried foods and french fries. So does that mean I can't eat them at all. I'm 5 wks along and I didn't have this with my first pregnancy. Can this get dangerous if I consume too much salt could it hurt my baby???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The health of your baby is not affected by the presence of edema and will be no different than that of a woman who has no signs of water retention. Make sure your doctor monitors you closely for signs of preeclampsia as a result of high blood pressure.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Do what your doctor tells you to do... if s/he says no salt, then DO NOT EAT SALT.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Oh, and just to clarify... preeclampsia is high blood pressure caused by pregnancy. Preeclampsia and other hypertensive disorders of pregnancy are a leading cause of maternal and infant illness and death. Follow your doctor's orders exactly - fight the cravings, do not eat ANY salt, keep your feet elevated, and get plenty of rest.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Restricting salt is not a current medical recommendation. It is wise to avoid 'excess' salt use, sodium restriction should not be casually undertaken. Edema in the feet and legs often occurs during pregnancy as a result of increased estrogen production and greater blood volume. Estrogen increases a mother's ability to absorb water into connective tissue. Progesterone increases the sodium content of urine, so more sodium than usual is lost by women during pregnancy. Despite the presence of edema, pregnant women have an increased need for sodium.

Restricting sodium during pregnancy can cause problems for you and your baby, disrupting this delicate fluid balance. Edema that occurs during pregnancy is not considered harmful, unless high blood pressure or protein loss in urine is also occurring. If your OB advises a low sodium diet, ask for clarification.

Usually edema occurs late in pregnancy, not at 5 weeks.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Well edema that early is not really normal. I feel that they should give you more of an explaination as to why this is happening. I feel that they have asked you to do these things so that it will not get worse and maybe will subside after a while. PP is right, our bodies need sodium for several necessary bodily functions thus totally restricting and consuming no salt is not healthy at all and could cause serious health problems. That being said, sodium is naturally in a lot of foods that we eat and we get enough in our diet to give us what we need. So my advice is, eat healthily, don't put EXTRA salt on things and stay away from highly processed foods that have a lot of salt in them. Eating your french fries is fine just don't pile on the salt and maybe save them as a treat for special occasions.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 5:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I would stay away from salt altogether, having swelling this early in pregnancy is a big deal and should not be taken lightly. I would be more concerned with how this is happening so early in pregnancy and want an explanation from my ob. Keep in mind how important/fragile the first trimester is and just focus on staying healthy. If you were over 25 weeks I'd say "no big deal just try not to over indulge in those types of foods" but honestly it is a big deal to have swelling at only 5 weeks prego. If your doctor says no salt, then listen to him and question him on how this is happening so early in your pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2010