Tummy Sleeping

My son is 7 weeks old. Since he was born he has been gassy and fussy. He will only sleep on his tummy. I put him next to me on the bed so I can watch him all night. He is sleeping on his tummy. I feel guilty because I know Im not "suppose" to do that, but its the only way he will sleep! Should I stop putting him on his tummy?? Im scared he will get so used to it that he wont sleep any other way. Any suggestions/advice?? Do you mommies put your babies to sleep on their tummy??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that was the only way that my daughter would sleep. I had a wedge under her mattress so that she wasn't laying flat and there was a fan on all night. she slept next to me in the bassinet. She's a healthy almost 3 year old now.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• It really is not safe to have him sleeping in your bed or on his stomach. Read the tips from the SIDS Center here: http://www.sidscenter.org/SafeSleep/AroundtheClock.html#tips.

neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• honestly, my daughter have been sleeping on their tummies since they started to roll over (my oldest rolled from back to tummy and back by the time she was 3 weeks old.my youngest was the same)) they will sleep how they sleep. you can't really stop them. i sleep on my stomach, and as far as i know, my mom isn't worried about me. lol.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I am an avid cosleeping advocate, but I would not put him on his stomach on your bed. Your mattress is softer than his would be, which means he will sink down further. Even millimeters matter when your baby is that small. If you intend to cosleep, look into safe cosleeping practices.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Both of my kids were tummy sleepers from day one.

I co-slept with both as well until the were around 2 months old. I would sleep on my back and they'd be on my chest on their tummy.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My twins girls are 8 months and they have always slept on their stomachs. They will not sleep any other way. I've always just made sure that there wasn't pillows in the crib and minimal blankets. So that they don't get too hot and don't get their face stuck in a pillow. They slept in the same crib too until very recently. In fact my older 3 kids all slept that way too. I coslept with my other 3 but couldn't image having done that with twins! 1 baby in the bed is quite enough! 2 doesn't work very well.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 6:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My son couldn't sleep on his back because of the falling reflex which would wake him up all the time. He slept on his belly from about 2 weeks old until 4.5 months. I was a nervous reck however checking him constantly to make sure he was fine. We all slept on our bellies when we were babies!! I wouldn't do it on a soft mattress however because there is more risk for him. Start putting him in his crib for nap times and then when you feel ok with it and your anxiety is down then start letting him sleep in there at night. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• My son would only sleep on his stomach at around 6 weeks on...and left it in God's hands and let him. He's now 6 months old and very healthy and happy. Keep a close eye on your baby and do what you have to do.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 8:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I started letting him sleep on his tummy once he rolled over. All the back sleep info had terrified. It's not a struggle putting him to bed anymore. When we were all children, i believe most of slept on our stomachs as well b/c that's what everyone was told was the best way. We are all still here. I say however he is comfy, let him sleep that way.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My daughter always slept on her stomach, she had reflux, what if she vomitted while on her back? Besides once they start rolling over are you going to constantly turn the baby over?? My daughter is almost 3 and perfectly healthy
    kenzsmama

Answer by kenzsmama at 11:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2010