What are some tips to get my 2 year old boy to sit down and actually watch TV?

My son for some reason how no interest in sitting down and actually watching tv.
I've tried telling him you have to be quiet and listen, but he still doesnt want anything to do with it.

Adriansmom12008

Asked by Adriansmom12008 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• for the people being rude about this saying why would you want him too? tvs bad and so on quit being judgmental maybe she's trying to get some quiet time to herself...maybe he won't sit and play with blocks or legos. I know my daughter would rather do that but if this is the only thing she can think of she deserves her time alone. It's not like she's going to park him in front of the tv all day long. Just maybe some time to get things done, TV won't corrupt kids it's the length of tv. I used to watch an hour of it a day with my daughter. Just to kinda sit down and have some quiet time. (which doesn't exist in our house anymore lol) but don't judge her it's not like your kids never watch tv so if you don't have an answer for her and you just came on to make her feel like S##T maybe you should just not have answered. My answer to you hun is to watch it with him it's not totally alone time but it is relaxing to just sit there for
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 4:15 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Maybe get some Legos or blocks, or coloring book and crayons, instead. Television isn't really recommended for children two and under anyway. I'm not being judgmental, but I have found that my daughter will sit and be quiet with toys that require imagination more than she will for tv, which I am glad about.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 3:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• He is two...most won't. Why does he "need" to actually sit and watch t.v.? I have to know...

Mine would have, but, it isn't like i forced it...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You can't make him interested in it. At that age they're interested in exploring and learning... not sitting down and being quiet.

I'd get legos blocks or books for them to play with and block off other rooms if you're wanting to watch a show.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You don't want him to watch TV. It's not good for him.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I'm not saying I'm forcing him.
    Adriansmom12008

Answer by Adriansmom12008 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• He either will or he won't...no way to get him interested.

Mine would sit and watch early. I didn't always let him, but, even at three, he could sit through Titanic. LOL To this day, he loves movies. And, honestly...watching tv had no negative effect on him. His vocabulary and play skills were just fine. In fact, WAY above average. He also hated alot of "kiddie" shows. He prefered action and like Batman...he would watch Toy Story at 2. He freakin' loved it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Why would you want him to?
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 3:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I can understand needing some time to get chores done or something, and I don't think tv's evil or anything, but you can't really make him watch it and be interested at such a young age. It's probably better to give him other things to do. My dd who's now 4 stopped napping at age 2, when I was sick all the time and pregnant with baby #2, so I don't see a problem with using tv for a little while each day to occupy them, but unless you sit with him and watch something like blues clues or wonder pets or another preschool show and talk about it with him to make it interesting it's just not fun for them really. Musical shows were always my dd's favorite, and she'd play off & on and watch a little at the same time so I could rest my pregnant butt on the couch with my saltine crackers and a glass of water. I'd talk to her about what was happening and sometimes sing the songs and she liked it.
    Anonymous

• I dont really understand why you would want your child watching tv anyway. Its good hes not intrested.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2010