Upset Mother in Law...

My mother in law called yesterday to ask if we could watch her son (4yrs old) that evening while she went to a concert with her husband. We have a 7 week old baby and my husband got upset that they didn't give more notice, especially since they bought the tickets weeks in advance. My husband was really upset because they do this all the time, but this time its different because we have our own baby and its already hard enough on us. He told her we would watch him, but next time we need to have some notice because he is tired of them being rude and assuming we don't have plans or assuming we will drop everything to accomodate them. He said that if they give us a little notice we would gladly watch him, and thats all we ask. She got offended, started crying and hung up on him. He called her many times and left a voicemail apologizing for upsetting her, and he didnt mean for that to hurt her so much. She never called back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Relationships

• I think your dh did and said everything I would have done in your situation, although maybe she took something from his tone of voice that got her upset. I think your MIL probably needs to grow up and be more considerate of your family and your schedule and start to plan ahead a bit more.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• She knew she was in the wrong. She's using tears to manipulate him. Tell him to let it go. Your dh was being mature and asking for what was right. She's rude and likes to use people.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Her behaviour was manipulative. He should not have called her back.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 5:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I think your husband was right to speak up. It is incredibly rude of her to assume (and possibly expect) you to watch her son on such short notice, especially if you have a newborn baby in the house.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2010