For Pagans and other Witches, Mystics or Magickal Women

I am a proud Pagan Witch! I have never shied away from the term witch and believe it should be used. However, I have found a few who prefer to use other terms or who say things on the lines of "I practice magick but I'm not a Witch." Frankly, to each her own...

But here are my questions...
What is YOUR definition of a Witch?
Do you consider YOURSELF a Witch?
And if so, do you use the term Witch or something else? And why?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• A witch is someone who practices magick....not magic show magic but REAL magick.

I do not really practice, my beliefs are more philosophical then physical (if that makes sense).

I see nothing with calling yourself what you are....if you are a witch, you are a witch. I think shying away from the term gives the derogatory meanings and mental images people have when they hear it more strength. If you want the negativity of the word to disappear you have to embrace it and show its positive meaning.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 4:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• A witch is a person who does spell no matter if it is a formal ritual or not. I practice regularly though spell work and sometimes a ritual as well. I use the term witch to describe myself because to me it is not a bad thing. I love working with the cycle of the moon and the rhythm of Mother Earth.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Anon- I know that! Just like I understand that not all Witches are Pagan - however the majority of the ones in this forum are or can at the very least add to the conversation, seeing as how I have met very few Pagans who see the word as "evil"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:25 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Someone who uses the energies around her by means of various methods like candles, stones,etc.

Yes, I am a witch but I dont use the term much simply because I havent done much lately. My spirituality is on the low side right now and Im working on improving and getting back to what it was last year before stress took over.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I use the term Witch, I've had people bash me because they keep telling me that the term is not Witch but Wiccan. I try to not get nasty about it, there is a difference, as you already know, and I am not Wiccan.

I do some spell work, rituals and such. I also see it as my religion, I don't see anything wrong with the term either. But you know how some people can be.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• To me, a witch is someone who tries to manipulate (wether positvily or negtivily) a situation using spells, herbs, candles or metaphysical means (i.e. white light, energy manipulation). Now, until you asked this question, I never really thought of myself as a witch. But, the more I think about it, I guess I am. I am more of a metaphysical witch then anything. I don't say spells or use candles or herbs. I just try to manipulate energy. I don't call myself a witch, cause, until today, I didn't think of myself as one.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Meh, if they think I'm evil, so be it. It's not going to spoil my day.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I do consider myself a Witch, but I don't really use the term b/c I don't think most people around me would even have a CLUE as to what that means! And, I am just not ready to cross that bridge yet!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I do consider my self a witch. To me, a witch is someone who practices the Craft of the Old. I am also a Wiccan.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 5:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• What is YOUR definition of a Witch? One who casts spells and uses Magick as a for of prayer

Do you consider YOURSELF a Witch?  Yup...NOT Wiccan, but a Witch. 

And if so, do you use the term Witch or something else? And why?  I use "Witch"...I also use the words "Bitch" and "Bohunk".  What was once deragatory can be transitioned into a Word of Power. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:37 PM on Mar. 29, 2010