How do i get her of breastfeeding? ..HELP

my daughter just turnt two and she is still breastfeeding i am trying to ween her off but i am having alot of trouble because when she wants to be breastfeed she will just say milk nurse and lift my shirt up and i will try to give her milk in a sippy cup and she wont drink it she wants to be nursed and last night she just kept crying and crying to be nursed and i finally gave in just for her to stop crying wich is not good. what are ways i could ween her off...? p.s and she also nows how to take the boob out the bra and start nursing.. wich is also not good. HELP ! i also have a 5 month year old and she is breast feeding also

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried contacting LLL for help? They can probably give you tips on gentle weaning.
    Here is what I've done, with suggestions from a LLL leader - For my dd, I had the best luck cutting out nursing during the day first by distracting her with toys or cuddling & reading a book, and making sure I had drinks and snacks ready before she got too hungry/thirsty and irritable. I started setting limits on when we could nurse, like only before bed time, and only at home, etc.
    Your dd will wean eventually, but it can be a trying on you for a while. You're doing a great job nursing her for so long. Hang in there! :)
    Anonymous

• I weaned my DD at 18 months, just 6 weeks before delivering my 2nd baby because I didn't want to be BFing a toddler and baby at the same time. I dropped 1 feeding every 3 days until the last one left was the bedtime feeding. That was the only rough one. I did the whole bedtime routine the same, just minus the nursing. After 3 days it was like she completely forgot about it.

Some BFing moms aren't going to like this part of my answer, but you are going to have a rough time because you haven't set boundaries with her. I never let any of my kids lift up my shirt or grab at my breasts. I don't think it's harmful to allow them to do as your DD has done, but for me it feels like a respect issue. I do BF, but it is my body and they don't have the right to grab at me or undress me. You need to set up some boundaries with your DD and stick with it. Be loving, but firm and it will all work out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 5:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I had a really diffucult time weaning. I think i started the wrong way. I did try the boundries but wasn't very successful. DD was totally fine not nursing when I wasn't around. When I was home, she would fight for it. So my husband and I found a three day period where he could watch her. I only saw her a little during the day when it wasn't a typical time for her to nurse. I would leave before she got up and came home after she went to bed. After that, she would ask but was fine when I said no. We went from screaming and tears to a quick pout.

The most interesting part is that she still talks about it. It has been almost a year and she still calls my boobs "treat milk." She will open my shirt and say "good night treat milk" or "yummy treat milk." She still tries to nurse too. Every once in awhile when she sleeps with me. It is funny how much nursing means to a toddler. I never would have guessed.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 6:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• If you are sure you want to wean then the best thing is to just to drop one feeding a day for a week and leave the favorite (usually before bed or nap) for last. I allow mine to self wean, but around 24 months they are night weaned. My 33 month old is still nursing. You definitely need to teach manners though if you are going to continue. My children both knew from the beginning that they were not allowed to just push my shirt up and start nursing, they needed to ask and gain permission first.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Distraction is one way. The other is let her nurse but cut the time down. Had a mom tell me she put dish soap on her nipples and the baby hated it and stopped feeding.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Dish soap on nipples is a terrible idea - the child can get diarhea from ingesting soap.
    Anonymous

• I heard of one mom who put bandaids on her nipples and told her LO that they were broken, after about a week she told him that her milk had dried up (which it had) and she didn't have anymore
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I think you need to teach your DD some nursing manners. ;)

Join the breast feeding mom's group and look at the information on 'nursing manners'. There is no reason for a toddler to be taking out your breasts! My son is a year old and does not do that. I've taught him he does a sign when he wants to nurse (he points to my chest repeatedly. not clawing or grabbing) and then he gets to nurse.

Also, "don't offer don't refuse". If she wants to nurse, please don't refuse. It'll only make this harder. Let her nurse, but once she starts nursing offer her a favorite snack or toy or book. She'll naturally cut down on how long she nurses. You can also delay at inopportune times. If she asks to nurse, tell her something concrete like "Not right now, but after lunch" - she'll probably forget or get full on lunch, if not, nurse her for a short time and distract. It works. Don't do the night-time feed yet tho it's worst one.
    Anonymous

• I also wanted to add that tricks/cruel tactics like putting bandaids on your nipples or soap on your nipples can backfire. It can be traumatizing and they may freak out when they see the next baby nursing.

If your daughter is having melt-downs about BF'ing before bed because you are refusing to nurse her, I would keep the night-time nurse. I am not sure why you are forcing weaning so hard? Is it her bad manners / the amount of times she nurses? Like I said, teach her nursing manners.. and work on delaying and distracting. Before you know it she will not nurse as often or for as long when she does nurse and you might find you don't mind! The WORST thing to do is to tell a toddler "NO!" about something they love so much. It just doesn't work or if it is does it is traumatizing to them. I would distract/delay etc. way before outright refusal to nurse, but that's just me.

Good luck. Do join Breastfeeding Mom's :)
    Anonymous