how do I get letters of recommendation without letting my current employer know that I may be looking for another job?

I am a teacher who may begin to look for another job. Many employers ask for 3 letters of recommendation from within the last year? Any idea how to get these letters? I've only been teaching for 2 years and it's been at the same school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Is there even one person you could ask who would keep it confidential?
    Do you do volunteer work anywhere? Maybe they'd accept a reference from a volunteer supervisor.
    Anonymous

• What about your college advisor or a favorite professor?
    Anonymous

• The Letters of Rec don't have to be from where you work.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Just state on your resume "References available upon request." Until you are a final candidate, most potential employers will not contact your references.

There is also nothing wrong with stating that you do not want your current employer called to verify employment--for obvious reasons! Future employers will appreciate your wanting to remain confidential--that's a good employee trait!

Lastly, as far as professional references are concerned (not the personal ones), potential employers CAN ONLY verify your job title, years worked, and final salary--they are prohibited from asking things like whether you were a good employee, or would they hire you again, etc.

I am the former Director of Human Resources for a large hotel chain. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I don't have any advice, but it reminds me of when I lived in a small town where everyone knew everyone. I was working at a little retail store but I had applied to work for the school district as an aid and had interviewed at all of the schools. I was really hoping that word wouldn't get to my boss before I had a chance to get hired at a school. Well, the principal of one of the schools called me at work to see if I would accept the job offer. And my boss answered the phone. The boss and this principal were friends and the principal told him that I had interviewed with him and he wanted to hire me and then the boss handed me the phone and stood there while I took the call. Awkward!
    Anonymous

• I'm in the same boat. I want a job in a district closer to home. I have asked my co teachers, for they will keep it confidential. I have old letters of reference from former employers that I still use. Like you said, they are NOT current, for I was in college in 2004, and worked my last job in 2006. It is a little hard to know who to ask.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• When I was looking for my second job I had my college professors write me letters of rec instead of my current employer.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:26 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Professors
    Coworkers
    Supervising teachers

Answer by rkoloms at 6:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2010