I am "supposedly" 32 weeks pregnant, had an ultrasound done on Friday and the baby weighed 6 lbs 4 oz, ideas?

At "supposedly" 32 weeks I had an ultrasound done and measured at 36 weeks and the baby was already showing at 6 lbs 4 oz, gaining up to a pound a week at this point that would be a 14 lb baby. Do you think maybe I could have had one more period before the test showed? I had my 2 yr old daughter completely naturally and I don't want any interferences this time either but I'm beginning to think that an early induction wouldn't be so bad. Quite honestly I'm getting very nervous and hoping the doctor says that he was wrong and my LNMP must have been off and I'm really 36 weeks. Any ideas? I don't go to the doctor for a week and a half, I'm starting to drive myself crazy with this, please...advice or reassurance would be great!

kenzsmama

Asked by kenzsmama at 5:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• weight is a guess
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• ideas? um get an epi! thats going to be one big baby! My son was 8lbs at 40 wks not very big to some people but im a very small girl and was told i couldnt deliver more then a 7 lb baby, i guess i proved them wrong. Maybe they got the date wrong. As for early induction i'll say no, a baby needs all they time they can get in your belly, babies will come when they are ready
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• true weight is a guess they told me the day before i had my baby that he looks barley 7 lbs but they were wrong. Maybe they guessed worng, just wait till the baby is ready to come.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• It's definitely a guess. You cannot get an accurate weight from an ultrasound. Say no to early induction! I've seen a 105 lbs woman deliver a 9 lb 7 oz baby with no problem.
    Anonymous

• The weight they estimate at an ultasound appt can be off by a pound of more, and they get less reliable the farther along you are. Talk about it with your dr and discuss your due date based on your past cycles and your period. I really don't think you're carrying a potential 14 pound baby unless you have other medical issues like gestational diabetes or something. SOme women carry babies for different lengths of time, anywhere from 38 to 42+ weeks is normal, so the due date they give you is just a guess too.
    Anonymous

• They could be wrong...your baby might really be 32 weeks and be born at 40 weeks weighing 5 lbs. It happens. Never induce.....unless you are past 42 weeks or there are REAL problems. And, If your body made it, most of the time, your body can birth it.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:16 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Both of my babies measured big. My 2nd one, I had been charting my temperatures and it was pretty obvious what day she was conceived, so they couldn't try to tell me I was further along than I thought. They said they would both be large, like 9 pounds. The first was 6lb, 10 oz, the second was 7 lb, 3 oz.
    Anonymous

• The ultra sound is never 100%
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Are you having any blood sugar issues? I know with my second baby I was told at 32 weeks that he was already 7lb 2oz by u/s. I was borderline diabetic with that pregnancy, so I went on the gestational diabetes diet. He was born at 39 weeks at 9lb 1oz. U/S are just an estimate and can be off by a pound or more.
    Don't worry your baby will not be too big for you to deliver.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• At 36 weeks the ultrasound said my son was already over 8 lbs. He was born at 38 weeks 3 days and was ONLY 7 lbs1 ounces. I would never induce based simply on an ultrasound. I too had a natural/no intervention/drug free birth with both my children and would NEVER do it differently. A friend jus naturally delivered her second child at home and this one was over 10 lbs. The first was only 8 lbs and she said the first one was worse!
    Anonymous