How clingy is your baby?

My son just turned 5 months old and is extremely clingy. He'll only let me put him down for maybe 20 minutes at a time no matter if it's his swing, his playmat, his crib, etc. People tell me he's spoiled but really? Can a 5 month old be spoiled or does he just like being close to me? How long can you put your baby down without them screaming like they've been abandoned?

lady_D408

Asked by lady_D408 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 20 minutes is a long time, congrats

i also have a five month old, she is fine anywhere as long as i am right there and she's not hungry, dirty or tired
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• my daughters 8 months old and she was pretty cling y to me for a while but once she hit 6 months i started her on the independence path lol..she can play and amuse herself now for maybe 45 minutes ..which is more than enough time for me to do homework or clean up take a shower do my hair etc.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• All babies are different and he is in no way spoiled he simply wants to be close to his mother. My oldest was similar, but my youngest hated being held.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• 20 minutes? That is a long time for a 5 months old! You can't spoil them at this age. You keep them with you, hold them a lot and eventually they will be pushing you away.
    At only 5 months your baby probably hasn't hit the separation anxiety stage yet. Be prepared! He may scream to be with you much more at that point.
    You can't "teach" a baby to not need their mommy, it is human instinct.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My DD is almost 6 months and is the same way. I'm fine with it because she loves being held by me. Everyone other than my side of the family says she's spoiled and it drives me insane. They're NOT spoiled, they're babies. They want their mommies, the want to be held and taken care of, there's nothing wrong with that. No baby this young has the power to manipulate you, you are not giving them material things and they do not know right from wrong. Some people need to learn the definition of the word spoiled.

He just likes being close to you. Soak it up now, it will be gone soon lol.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 7:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• A baby needs his mother. I don't think he is spoiled.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• He's not spoiled...he's loved<3 Mine is 6 months and he is the same. I think of it like this. He's still unable to get where he wants on his own so he probably gets bored and lonely being in one spot too long. He just wants to be close to you. I say enjoy it while it lasts b/c I know pretty soon they are going to crawling everywhere and you'll have to chase them just to cuddle lol
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2010