Do you teach your child manners and to share?

My daughter was just playing with a toy and this girl comes up and just snatches it away from her. I said, "That's not nice." Then her mom comes up and says, "My daughter doesn't have to share if she doesn't want to." It wasn't even her toy.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 5:31 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• that would irritate me and shes only 8 months old but when she understands the concept then yes i will
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 5:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Absolutely, my child says please and thank you and shares most of the time. She is a very kind and polite child anyway. I think it is irresponsible for a parent not to teach their child these things. That child is destined to be be a bully and probably not a happy person because she will learn that she will not always to get what she wants.
    kittymontclaire

Answer by kittymontclaire at 5:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I would have snatched it back and said.."well...neither do we apparently." LOL

What a friggin' %itch. Geeze. That is wrong and uncalled for.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• lmao, nice

stay away from that kid
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Yes... They are all taught to use their manners at home and out, and to share. If they don't, they don't get to have it, it becomes mine, and not get it back.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Anon...why are you so obsessed with biscuits and gravy? Is it because that's what your snatch smells like?
    Anonymous

• The parent you mention is irresponsible and you can just imagine what her kid will be like in a few years. You should always teach manners and to share. My son is very good at that. He makes me very proud.
    Awakened1

Answer by Awakened1 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• did i miss something anon at 2:38? Yikes!
    That woman was a bitch. Of course we've workd our butts off on manners and sharing. It's to the child's benefit anyway. That chic is doing her kid a disservice. I can take my kids to 5 star restaurants, they are great....but we worked at it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Yes, I do. I also teach her that if anyone bullies you or snatches your things, you'd better slap the taste out of their mouth. We don't tolerate that BS 'round here!
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 5:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• First off that had nothing to do with sharing and I don't understand why that mother would say that. That child stole a toy which is totally different. I do not force my children to share a toy that is theirs if they don't want to, but they are taught that snatching a toy from someone else is rude and that person does not have to share until they want to either. My children will generally share just fine, but they are never forced to. I do teach and more importantly MODEL manners.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010