Ay tips for getting my breastfed baby to use a bottle on occasion?

We first introduced the bottle (filled with breast-milk) to my now 3-month daughter when she was 6 weeks old. She did great with it and we were good about giving her the occasional bottle on a regular basis. Then we went through a period where we were traveling quite a bit and went a few weeks without giving her a bottle. Now, she refuses to take one. She just screams whenever we offer it to her. How do I get her to re-accept a bottle?

CatAlt

Asked by CatAlt at 6:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you dont ever give a breastfed baby a bottle

meaning the mom should never give it
    have your hubby do it
    Anonymous

• My son was started early switching between bottle and breast (I pumped so my husband or mom could feed while I was working) and never had issues, thankfully. I had good luck with a specific type of nipple from the playtex nursers. This was ten years ago though.. Good luck! Hopefully some other moms can help out.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You may have better luck with a sippy cup or even a cup with a straw. I know that sounds kind of nutty, but my youngest would NOT touch a bottle to save his life he would use a sippy and he's been drinking from a straw since he was big enough to hold his head up.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 6:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Some take time others go back and forth from day one. My son didn't take one without a fight until about 13 weeks old. Now he goes back and forth all the time because I work now.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 6:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Try giving a bottle when she is distracted like in the tub while she is the most happy. If she refuses don't push. Sippy cup works well, but the best is a straw that bends at the top. Breastfed babies do very well with those. You may have to forget the bottle. Good luck
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Would a straw really work?! I'm having the SAME problem, OP. My peanut absolutely refuses and screams her head off when anyone tries to give her a bottle.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 8:22 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• @Anonymous - I should have mentioned that my husband is always the one to give her bottles.

Everyone else, thanks for the suggestions. I think my biggest frustration is that she did take to bottles instantly and only know has decided she hates them. Hopefully some of these ideas will work.
    CatAlt

Answer by CatAlt at 8:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I read that around 3 months they start to refuse, for breastfed babies that initially took a bottle very young but suddenly stopped. Is she around 3 months old? if so its a phase and she will take it eventually again. Better to have a baby who refuses bottles and some point than a baby who likes the bottle too much and refuses to ever nurse again. I think women who have had that problem will agree.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• at some point*
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010