I don't WANT allergy shots... but my allergies are KILLING me... making me ILL! Any alternatives?

They give me sore throats, runny noses, head aches, make me sleepy all the time, make me have a stomach full of mucous which makes me nauseous. I just don't want to get a prescription or get shots. Anyone found relief with OTC's or herbs?

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Health

• Zertec is the only thing that works for me. It is an OTC. I have done the shots for years with no improvement.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 6:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Not for me. I take a shot once a week and it has greatly improved my quality of life.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 7:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• have you tried...acupuncture, or chiropractic?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:07 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Zyrtec and Flonase worked for me without having to take shots.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 8:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Go to an allergist asap. I had tried everything under the sun for my allergies and asthma-prescription, non-prescription but an allergist set me on the right path. They'll test you for allergens and base your treatment on that. The problem with some prescription and non-prescription medicines is that they can lose their effectiveness after awhile.However, they are essential for someone with allergies who can't take shots. I tried allergy shots, they helped some, but I started to have bad reactions to them. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you. A good allergist can guide you on the proper and most effective treatment. Sometimes it can be expensive even with insurance but WELL worth it.
    tiger123

Answer by tiger123 at 8:36 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Could be an undiagnosed food allergy or intolerance. When I went gluten free my "seasonal" allergies disappeared. Before that I would take zytec, nasonex, allergy eyedrops & benedryl on top of that. Cut gluten out of your diet for a couple of weeks & see if it improves. If you do see an allergist ask for a food panel rast test for IgG too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2010