HELP!! with a routine..

So, here's the deal,
My soon to be 9 mo. old daughter isn't on a SOLID schedule and I'd love her to be...for many reasons incl. more "free" time for me.
The problem is, we live with my FIL and he works early and goes to bed early.
My dd seems to only go to sleep when SHE wants to, and I'm getting criticized from every angle for not having her on a routine.
I have a bassinet ( which she's pretty much outgrown) in the dining room downstairs for her when she falls asleep, and leave her sleep there until my SO and I are ready for bed between 12-1 am, is this such a big deal? she's getting her sleep!
But here comes the other "problem", she's a mommy's girl and I'd venture to say even a little ....shhh..! "spoiled" and gets separation anxiety lately..I have to make sure she is asleep before i put her down, or else it is all out war!!
She has her own room, I tried putting her in her crib and sleeping on the spare bed in there

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 6:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cont...
    for a couple of night BUT STILL ended up bringing her into bed when she cried ( in fear she'd wake my FIL)
    I cannot keep letting her sleep with me!! she depends on it....it's gotten to the point where I have to "cuddle" her to sleep and cannot move her in fear she'll wake everyone up.

Can anyone give me some simple trick and tips to follow?? I really want to make this work, I am determined!
    Just need some help thinking outside the box!
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 6:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• There are a number of sleep "training" methods online. I would look a few up and see what you think will work for you. My 6 month old is finally getting used to a schedule and it was a trying time but it happened. He still has his nights lol. Just stick with it. It will be hard, but only YOU know what is best for her. Don't let the your FIL bother you. Sometimes they can't just let go of being a parent b/c they have done it for so long. My MIL does it a lot and it's quite hard to say anything so I try to just breathe and walk away. Once she starts going to bed in her own room she will sleep a lot better. Just give a try. I know you can do it <3
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 10:29 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You CANNOT spoil an infant. TODDLERS get spoiled by being handed every toy and treat they want. But everything you are doing? SPOT ON.

She HAS a routine. It's just not what other people think it should be. And they can go hang! Do what WORKS.

If you want, google Elizabeth Pantley for her No Cry Sleep Solution. But honestly? Sounds like things are great except for the busybodies who should be ignored.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• This one is a hard one cause everyone has their own schedules but i say put her to bed the same time everyday.get her up at the same time everymorning and if she naps let her nap early like before 3pm so she will be ready by 8 or nine nad if you don't go to bed until midnight then there is no harm in her staying up with you so long as she gets enough hours of sleep and so long as she is not keeping your FIL awake.
    vvuittonet

Answer by vvuittonet at 11:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010