UTI in three year old

So my daughter had never had one of these until a couple of months ago. She had a bad one they gave her antibiotics and then she was all set. I think she has another but waiting for the lab results tomorrow. I am almost positive she has one. I had in the past given her a bubble bath maybe once a months. Those have stopped and the last few days i have let her sit in a warm tub with not soap and I am washing her hair at the end so she does not sit in it. I make sure she wipes correctly. How else can I prevent her from getting these. Also the Dr. said if this comes out positive they want to do some sore of ultrasound.

JeanPatrick

Asked by JeanPatrick at 6:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They might want to do an ultrasound to check and make sure her kidneys are ok. Seems like your doing all the right things, maybe let her not wear underwear at night to let things air out, and make sure she isnt holding her pee. Those can also help prevent. Other than that have her drink lots of water and cranberry juice to help flush her system! GL
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Just continue to use the gentlest shampoo and bubble bath you can, make sure you use detergent that is free of dyes and perfume and have her drink plenty of water.

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 7:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Thanks, yes we always have used free and clear. When she had her first uti we had her stop wearing underwear at night.
    JeanPatrick

Answer by JeanPatrick at 7:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• No baths AT ALL - seriously! I was giving my girls baths, my 2nd was getting UTIs and bladder infections no matter what, the day we stopped doing baths (showers instead) she hasn't had one since - so it's just the fact of sitting in the water, doesn't matter if there's anything in it or not. Stop baths, period, and see if that helps. Also - give her 100% cranberry juice to drink - it helps a lot!
    Anonymous

• Use only white cotton undies so she can breath down there. Don't do baths, do not use soap in the actual vagina- it is self cleaning, have her pat after using the bathroom not wipe, make sure her bottom is dry after showering- pat dry w/ towel. The vaginal area is a hot spot for fungus and bacteria since it is moist and dark. My daughter and I are prone to irritations, but not my littlest daughter. If you do a bath use baking soda or some vinegar no soap and don't leaver her in there for long. I hope this helps- haven't had my coffe yet so forgive my typos ;-)
    Lullababy

Answer by Lullababy at 9:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My pediatrician says the best soap to use for little girls is the Dove unscented bar. He says anything else is too irritating to their little urethras. Also, make sure she's always hydrated. Give her plenty of water to drink and nothing else. Carbination is very hard on the urinary tract and so is caffiene. Don't give any juice at all unless it's cranberry juice (not cranberry cocktail, but real cranberry juice).
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 10:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Hmmm......this is interesting since my 4 yo has just come down w/ one. Since I am prone to them, all 3 of my sisters are prone to them, and my Mom is, looks like my daughter will be too. The Pediatrician said the same thing: No bubble baths, cranberry juice (w/ a little bit of ginger ale if she hates it), water, etc. The problem for me is that my 4 yo will still wet to bed, so that holds in bacteria. So the Pediatrician said to put Desitin on her to act as a "shield". Unfortunately, some are just more prone to them. I have to constantly take medication to prevent them.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 10:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Since I gave up on baths, only showers I have not had any problems. I was having problems constantly. I would so love to just be able it sit an relax in the tub but really isn't worth it. When my daughter was little she kept having problems, found out it was colored toilet paper.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all the great information. I think we will start doing showers from now on.
    JeanPatrick

Answer by JeanPatrick at 2:18 PM on Mar. 29, 2010