• In the Spotlight:

Did anyone change their kids from public school to homeschooling during Jr High yrs?

How did they kids do? Did they improve in grades?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• my brother did that, 2 in middle school. They did just fine. They both graduated from college by the time they were 21yo. They are very bright. Just try to have do some sort of sport. My nephews were in a softball team.
    Anonymous

• A family in the church I grew up in did that. 5 kids, when the oldest hit high school they pulled all 5 out of school (private/Christian though, not public) and everything went down hill. The youngest kid is now 17 and none of them ever technically finished. They literally did nothing - not even unschooling, but not schooling at all. One other family (the family that adopted my first-born) mostly homeschooled, tried a year of public school here & there, the oldest child graduated homeschooling (GED) and is now through college (yay!). The second never finished school - when she took CNA classes mom decided she could hold off on regular school and they never picked it back up again. She's now a couple weeks from 19, 8 months pregnant, shacked up with a guy (not baby's daddy) with 3 kids, and working 20 hours a week as a CNA. The youngest 2 homeschooled til 3rd grade and now my DD is flourishing in public school, bro is failing.
    Anonymous

• All of mine started school around then (1 in 10th, 1 in 9th and 2 in 7th)....they loved being homeschooled but once they got to a certain age they wanted sports, drama, clubs, dances, etc.. I have social butterflies and they thrived in school.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• We did. We brought all of our kids home when they hit JR HIGH, and then decided to bring the younger ones home as well. THe oldest is now in HS and doing very well. It has been a great experience for all of us. THe kids are involved in sports, dance, art classes as well as other outings with homeschooled friends. THe reason we brought our kids home, we just felt that we didn't like the influence they were getting form other kids as well as some treachers in our local school. Middleschool is tough socially, to many pressures from other kids.
    adopted5

Answer by adopted5 at 8:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Not personally. I know a few families who have, with varying results. If I may, there is a key difference I see in all of them. There is an initial transition period. The families who actively schooled their kids, regardless of age, have kids who eventually moved to independent study, and did extremely well. The families who put a book in front of their kids, had kids who did not do well. I took from that that your kids need help transitioning from having it spoon fed to being able to do it all on their own.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yep, and they love me for it.
    We hate the way Tulsa Public Schools is running things.
    Cant afford to move out of our home well it's a 2 bed apartment.
    So got in touch with the School board and they help me with the Home Schooling aspects of teaching my kids about life and learning.
    I deal with pre k all the way to 7th grade. It's awesome.
    newathis918

Answer by newathis918 at 10:30 AM on Aug. 11, 2010