What would you do if your baby's temp was at 102.8 or even worse 104?

My Dr. and 2 other Nurses told me to turn on the humidifier, nice coolish warm luke bath, cold wash cloth she is teething and has a cold and bad cough, her body was so warm, but today I gave her baby Motrin. Hopefully she will get better. So I should take her to the dr's tomorrow yes or No?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:00 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Would depend on the age and the length of the fever for me. I typically try to avoid Dr's offices when I can because they are germ central which isn't good for an immune system that is already fighting something.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:01 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• This has been my life with my son for months. He gets bad kidney infections from a structural problem. It can be viral but can be several infections like ear, urinary etc. If the fever lasts more than a day take her in.
    Anonymous

• They were talking on tv the other day about how lots of moms panic when the child has a fever. It was an ER doctor and she said that fever just means the body is fighting something. Fevers are not always bad. Just let the child's body fight off whatever it is. I would keep the doctor posted and see what he/she says to do.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 7:05 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I agree with the virus trying to attack the body, she will be better soon! And yes many Mothers do freak out, i did that's why i call the emergency room first before ever paying a wadd in the ER for nothing! At one of the Hospitals where I live the ER sucks! 1-4 hr waits for people who throw up blood, bleed externally from the head/ brain they even made a man wait who was having kidney stones for 2 1/2 hrs!!! actually more like 4hrs,
    Anonymous

• For a 102 fever, I watch it. If it gets any higher, alternate baby motrin and baby tylanol.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 7:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• you can give depending on age and weight tylenol, then 3 hours later alternate with motron, 3 hours tylenol again and so on like that. You can also give a tipid bath to soothe the baby. Generally the fever should break unless they have a bacterial infection in which case they need antibiotics..and if the fever reaches 105, it's time for the e.r
    oogiesmommy

Answer by oogiesmommy at 8:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I call the doctor (or hospital if it's after hours) and follow the doc's instructions. I trust our docs. If nothing changes over a day or two, or gets worse, then I do take them in. But so much stuff can't be helped by medicine, especially when they're so young, so it's not always worth it to take them in - a lot of times you're just going to be told the same thing you've already been told.
    Anonymous

• i never had a baby with a fever. i have had 4 babies. i breastfeed. my kids have all been a little older and stronger when they have had fevers. when my kids get fevers, i rarely measure them. i keep an eye on them for sure. we breast feed to keep hydrated and to have comfort. if they are beyond breast feeding, then i keep them comfortable and hydrated. we don't do much juice in our house, but if it will encourage drinking, then i will give more when they are sick. (we don't do juice before 1) i have never given my kids tylenol or motrin...or any other medication for that matter. the human body is amazing and in most cases handle sicknesses better without the aid of medication.
    it is very hard as a mom to watch your baby struggle.
    i am sure your lo will be feeling better soon :)
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2010