Ideas for easy meals for the little one???

My daughter just turned 1 and she will eat just about anything! Any good fast meal ideas easy to freeze??? I know spaghetti and mac normally I just give her what we eat but there are night we eat things she cant have so I'm just trying to get ideas for thing I can make a head of time and have on hand!

Mo-mama

Asked by Mo-mama at 7:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• noodles, w butter and peper, applesauce, white rice, peas, corn on the cob if she has enough teeth. sandwhiches.. egg salad, chicken salad, tuna...... hambuger helper... just about any soup......any combination of something easy to fix in 20 min really... and if she can have even a side but not the main course i what you and hubby decide to eat, make her a snadwhich and give her the side.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 7:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• These two websites have some great ideas (and the baby food one has more than just "baby" food):

www.wholesometoddlerfood.com

www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 7:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My kids love to have cheese sticks wrapped in ham or turkey (I buy the block of cheese and then cut it into long sticks), and we sometimes do pb&j sandwiches only using waffles or tortillas instead of bread for a change. I bought a crinkle cutter knife at Bed Bath & Beyond so I can make apple fries and carrot fries - not fried, but just cut to look like french fries - and the kids eat them, pretending they are rabbits. Any time I make sweet potatoes, I make a couple extra, and my kids like to snack on them the next day or two, cut into cubes (even cold). We do frozen peas and frozen blueberries, which are awesome for teething because they are great on itchy sore gums. Plain or vanilla yogurt with dry cereal sprinkled on top is a favorite here too. In a pinch, I open a can of no salt added green beans and let them start eating while I start cooking something for dinner.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 7:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• When you make a meal that she can eat, make a couple extra servings and freeze them for later. You'd have a few weeks worth of toddler meals in just a short week. Add some fruit & veggies and she'd be a happy girl!
    Anonymous

• when my son was one he was on a chicken alfredo pasta phase for a long time, so i made a big bach one night added carrots and peas to the pasta popped them in the freezer, saved me about 30 minutes a day..
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 12:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Refried beans and rice. Before my son could use utinsils easily, he figured out that rice would stick to mashed up beans and it was very easy to lick the whole mess off his hand. You can make big batchesof both when you've time and freeze in toddler friendly amounts until needed.
    Mashed sweet potatoes. Can also be frozen in small portions and reheated. Unlike white potatoes, that go wonky in the freezer, sweet potatoes thaw without texture issues. Add some bits of tomato to the mash and you've got most of a meal. :-)
    Anything she seems to like, make extra of to freeze! That's probably the best rule of thumb. If she likes it today, she will like it again, maybe not tomorrow or next week, but she will like it again so go ahead and freeze a bunch for later.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 2:03 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• i agree with shadowraven....the wholesome websites are great.....I'm sure you're like most moms who want to start her out with some really healthy options.....not a lot of canned and packaged items....Remember it does not have to be what we consider in this country as "dinner food"....What is most important is that it is healthy, supplying her with whole grains is extremely good...brown rice cooked in chicken broth is yummy and it keeps very well...it is full of protein....yogurts, whole grain oatmeal that is cooked very well will fill her little tummy up nicely...add milk and a little sugar or raw sugar and some raisins for anytime of day....Don't get hung up on Dinner food with toddlers...IT WILL MESS YOU UP!! LOL!! little abc pasta and a pasta called ditalini shapes are awesome for little fingers...add tomato sauce and you are ready to go....Sweet peas are awesome because the shell is soft and easy to swallow....a staple.
    laynni

Answer by laynni at 9:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2010