Can mildew be cleaned from tile bathroom wall and the edges of the tub?

We recently moved into an apartment and it's rather old, but the tub is ceramic,not plastic and it has mildew around the edges of the tub and the wall is hard tile and there is also mildew in some of the crevices of the tile. Can that be cleaned off ? If so what is something I could use to clean it off? I can't stand it cause after I clean the bathroom I still feel as though it is dirty and it creeps me out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Use and electric tooth brush and some mildew cleaner! GL
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 7:37 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Talk to the landlord. That should have already been cleaned by them before you moved in.
    Anonymous

• a baking soda paste and a toothbrush. there may be silicone around the edge of the tub, if there is mold under this, then it should be pulled off, cleaned well, dried and siliconed again.
    bleach alters the surface of grout and tile leaving mold a nicer place to grow, so avoid bleach.
    good luck!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I'd remove the caulk if you can, and clean the mildew spots with bleach (I love bleach pens for this), then once it's dry, re-caulk everything using caulk that's meant for bathrooms - or ask your lanlord to do it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Mildew can be killed right down to its roots with a steam cleaner. It's totally nontoxic and the mildew will be dead, not just surface cleaned, which is all most other methods do. Since the place is old, the grout & caulking is most likely not sealed, so the mold/mildew will keep coming back; using the steam cleaner will keep it at bay because it will kill the spores and keep them from spreading.
    Anonymous

• Tilex. Gets rid of black mold stains too.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:18 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I would try the baking soda paste with a wire brush and after that I'd get the clorox bleach pen
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:25 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• You can't go wrong with straight bleach water.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 3:36 PM on Mar. 31, 2010