Could my son need glasses?

My 9 month old son looks down his nose at everything and everyone. Like he tips his head back and looks at you from over his nose. Or he tips his head down and looks at you from under his eyebrows. Also when he's trying to see something really far away, he goes cross eyed trying to focus on it. My sister has a lazy eye and my husband is far sighted in one eye and near sighted in the other. Could my son need glasses and will doctors even bother looking at him because he's so young?

TotallyWarped

Asked by TotallyWarped at 7:36 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I doubt they would give him glasses that young. TO me it sounds like a kid being goofy.
    My son use to look at you with his head down. He is fine. Also if he sees others do that then he may just be copying what he sees them do.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• See if you can find the organization "Prevent Blindness" in your area. They can find someone to see him, because many docs don't want to "bother" with trying to test kids that young. If you have a concern, go with it. :)
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• ps, I"m not saying your child is going blind. :)
    kjrn79

• If he is crossing his eyes he likely has an eyesight issue. My now 8 year old was diagnosed as being EXTREMELY farsighted (+9.85) when he was 2 1/4 years old! He was crossing only his left eye. It took literally 2 seconds to diagnose the problem by the pediatric eye doctor we saw. He has been wearing prescription lenses ever since, and his script has gone down, meaning his eyesight is getting better.

Infants and toddlers can have prescription glasses. There were twin girls in the office at our last appointment that couldn't have been over age 1 that were both being fitted for corrective lenses.

I think I was more incensed that NONE of the pediatricians caught the issue when they checked my son's pupil reaction with every well baby check up! It was literally THAT easy to determine a problem, that would have then needed further follow-up by a specialist with a referral.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:45 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I wouldn't be so concerned if it was every once in a while. But it's all the time.
    TotallyWarped

Answer by TotallyWarped at 8:12 PM on Mar. 28, 2010