little teeny tiny wets in her underwear

My daughter is in underwear full-time and is potty trained except she has these little mini accidents (not every day, but sometimes multiple times in a day) where she wets just a tiny bit, not even enough to get her pants wet, before she tells me she needs to go. She has a very strong bladder, I know this because she can hold it for really long periods of time, 4 hour naps, most nights. She looks and acts just as proud of herself when she goes to the potty after one of these as when she makes it with fully dry pants. We're to the point where I don't take her to the potty unless she asks, and she even tells me when we're out and about. But I can't figure out how to make her understand that she needs to go before it's right there, ready to come out. It's like she gets the whole process except this! She's 18 months. And she hasn't had a full-blown accident where her pants are soaked in weeks. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• 18 months is really young, so that's great that she's potty trained, but her bladder is really small, so she probably can't hold it for say, a 4 hour nap like you described. You might need to make her sit ever 2 hours or so, just until she gets bigger.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• she 18 months & trained be happy my 3 yr old is not even close to being trained.. does she go herself or do you remind her?
    because if you are setting her on the toilet then your trained not her. trained is her asking to go & going on her own.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 7:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Um, I really seriously doubt that she is fully potty trained Mom. It sounds like you are potty trained, not her.
    Anonymous

• she is 18mos accidents are expected and thats part of potty training. 4 hr naps? really? even so she is just normal! Just be patient and appreciate the sucess she has had so far. Quit being controlling and forcing it or she will regress her progress!
    Anonymous

• I thought this was clear from the original post, but here again: I don't make her go potty,. I help her get on and off only when she asks to go. She doesn't have these little accidents after the 4 hour naps -- then she's totally dry. it's while she's playing or eating that she has them. How did you get that's I'm being controlling and forcing it? She has practically trained herself. She wanted to use the potty.
    Anonymous

• My kids each started asking about the potty at about 14-15 months. It took them a long time (like a year) to stop having accidents, but it's not like no kids are ever potty trained that young.
    She probably forgets for a minute while she's playing, and lets a little bit out. She'll catch on and stop ventually, don't worry.
    Anonymous

• Alot o fit is just time. My DD still will wait till the last minute to go and piddle in her panties...it happens. I just say..you need to go potty befor you pp in your painties.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• again lucky my 11 yr wasn't full trained until 3 yr with pullups at night till 6 yr.. my 7 yr was trained fully by 4 never needed pull ups.. as I said my 3 yr not yet trained..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Normal, you are doing good at this point. It is normal for them to have full blown accidents because they are too busy and don't want to stop what they are doing and go to the potty. This too shall pass.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:28 PM on Mar. 29, 2010