Genuine curiosity here

There is one thing I don't understand in the Christian faith. It has always piqued my curiosity.
See- I'm not a Christian and I believe that all things- good and bad- are either chance, or can be credited to the individual choices.
But with the religious it's rarely so.
I've always wondered, in the Christian religion why does God get the credit for all the good stuff that happens, but none of the blame for the bad. The reason I'm specifying the Christians is because in the old testament he is described as an angry, vengeful God, so he does get some of the blame for the bad stuff there, even if he is supposed to have his reasons behind it.
And remember, this is not a slam, just one thing I do not understand and want opinions on.

mandaday

Asked by mandaday at 7:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• This has always been one of my issues as well. To me the Christian God would be just as responsible for all the bad as the Devil is. Because he is the one that sent him to earth. But apparently it's only those of us who see things from the outside that can see this point though...

Really, I don't care what people believe, as long as they are shoving down my throat...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• In the old testament people may view Him that way but He was just in everything He did.
    The reason He doesnt get blames is most of the bad comes from OUR choices and the choosing to SIN. SIN changed the world from what Adam and Eve saw to what we see now Because of their disobedience it planted a seed. Now to change that course God the Father asked His one and only Son to make a sacrifice for ALL of man kind ( this took place of the sacrifices done in OT. He took upon the sins of the world. It is NO MORE! Yet many still ive in that lifestyle not choosing to change so the sin keeps affecting lives! It is not God's fault mankind continues to sin which affects the lives around them. Its like a domino affect. I hope that helps. God is not an angry and vengeful God but a loving and compassionate one. He is never changing, He has always been that way.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I say he helps those who help them selves. Of all faith. Though he gave us free will So some people are bad, and I think in certain bad situations we are given the problem for a reason yet to be seen.Every thing we go through gives us some knowledge.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 8:18 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Shaneagle-
    It's not really the sin related issues that make me curious. I'm not being argumentative, I'm just trying to make clear what it is that mystifies me.
    Let me clarify a bit more. A house catches fire for faulty wiring. If everybody gets out God gets credit for saving them. But if 5 children are inside he doesn't get the blame for their deaths.
    See what I mean?
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:19 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Romans 8:28And we know that all things work togetherfor good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
    All things good or bad God has a purpose for everything that happens in our life.
    Anonymous

• I believe bad stuff happens because often that is what propels us into action. We need to be active in our own lives. We are born for a reason, if there was no bad we would have no reason to leave heaven to be born. 

Do I understand why there is really bad stuff that happens to innocent children, like in a war zone.  No I don't understand sometimes, I just have faith that there is reason.  These terrible things create action in myself, but still it's hard to understand.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• "Romans 8:28And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
    All things good or bad God has a purpose for everything that happens in our life."

So then according to this passage God is to blame for the bad, but he has his reasons. Am I reading that correctly? That I can understand. But it the belief that God is the reason behind seemingly senseless tragedies is so rarely seen in practice. KWIM?
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• People cause most of the tragedies. We have to take responsibilityfor our actions, we are responsible for what we as individuals do. I can make a choice to hurt someone not.  God could step in and stop the things we do, but I believe he chooses not to because this is the reason we are born.  It is our responsibility to connect with other people, to do good works.  This is also how we grow closer to God. 

We are suppose to be actively engaged in our lives, we wouldn't do this if God didn't allow us to cause the problems, and give us a chance to create a better world by loving for each other.

I don't blame God for the bad, I take responsibility for my part in it.  We can all contribute positively or negatively to the world through our thoughts, words and deeds.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• "People cause most of the tragedies. We have to take responsibilityfor our actions, we are responsible for what we as individuals do."

But then do we get credit for the good? The main part of my lack of understanding is that it seems it should go both ways. Either God gets credit of both good and bad, or humans do.

Maybe I'm just not mentally designed to understand the logic behind it.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 8:57 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Maybe I'm just not mentally designed to understand the logic behind it.

It's not that most Christians believe this diferrently. I believe it's 50/50 God isn't responsible for all good or bad just half, and we don't know which so why not just say thank you incase. I also say thank you to any indivisual who ever helps me. I also say screw you and ask we to any one who harms me. Including god.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 9:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2010