Is it harder to have a second c section for a heavier mom?

J.LaCombe

Asked by J.LaCombe at 8:46 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it's harder on anyone's body, regardless of weight, to have repeat c-sections. I never had one, but I know of moms who have scar tissue and pain near their incisions even months or years after the surgery. I don't know why more drs don't "allow" VBACs when it's better for the mom & baby in most cases.
    Anonymous

• Unless you are not a candidate for VBAC, because of problems like rickets or a major pelvic injury, or if you were given an unsafe incision (vertical instead of horizontal) then attempting VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) is safer than having a repeat.

That said, some moms find their second sections to be much easier, because they know what to expect and the surgery isn't "emergent". Others find them harder to recover from because of excess scar tissue, bleeding, etc (both of which increase with each subsequent C-section). I don't think that weight has much to do with it, unless you're very overweight (like, obese). If you've gained a lot of weight since your first surgery then it might make bleeding harder to control and obviously there is more tissue to cut through, so you will have more scar tissue later.

If you're interested in VBAC ld be happy to give you some information :) You can PM me.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2010