Have you ever heard of putting baby oil in your toddlers ear to loosen wax build up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• We never have done it. Our pedi said that the wax will work its way out, and not to mess with putting anything in there. Just clean the outside of the ear with a warm wet washcloth.
    Anonymous

• Don't do it. The wax is fine and there is no reason to scrape it out. Just use a warm wet washcloth and rub the ear. Don't use a q-tip, just clean the outer part of the inside of the ear, just as far as your finger will go. There is a reason your fingers are bigger than your ear canal, you are not supposed to stick things in there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:55 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Never heard of that. I really would not recommend it. Just an anon said wipe what you can with warm wet cloth. If it is a huge amount you may need to get her checked by pedi.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I have heard of olive oil, not baby oil. I think olive oil has this as one of the many benefits, look it up on google.

Answer by older at 8:59 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I was told to use cooking oil. But my son's ear wax had built up and hardened to the point it was affecting his hearing in that ear. I tried it and it didn't work so we ended up having his ear flushed at the Dr's office. For a regular basis though it's not necessary.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Only on a cotton swab but do NOT POUR it in and don't go in too far
    Anonymous

• My son has narrow tubes in his ears that are constantly getting plugged with wax. The doctor told us to use peroxide and water, half and half and pour that into his ears, wait 5 minutes and let it drain out. We did this for a week when his ear was plugged and we do it twice a week for maintenance...worked great.

Now my son is 13, Im not sure how you'd get a toddler to sit still for 5 mins, but its another idea.
    Tarinia

Answer by Tarinia at 8:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2010