How can I eat healthy without spending tons of time in the kitchen?

Bc one I hate cooking and two I really don't have the time. It's me and my 2 year old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I just cook for myself but hate being in the kitchen cooking. I have a dutch oven that I put food in and let it bake. I throw in frozen vegetables and frozen meat and cover it and leave it baking without babysitting it. I sometimes microwave a sweet potato. That only takes a couple of minutes and better for you than a white potato. You can also slice them like fries and bake them. Yum. I also steam some vegetables or make brown rice and throw in some black beans. I don't have to stay in the kitchen with those either. Sometimes I quick fry chicken. I cut fresh chicken in small pieces and fry them quickly in olive oil. You can roll them in bread crumbs if you like. I eat precooked crabmeat for snacks. I buy it when it's buy one get one free. All this is quick and easy stuff and healthy.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:09 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Green Without Much Means

I have 3 kids... prep & cooking has to be a MINIMAL... check this out, maybe you'll find something you like, or get some ideas.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• do more breakfasts for dinner. eggs are easy, quick, and amazing protein. and the mix-ins for omlettes and scrambled eggs are endless

another good breakfast for dinner is oatmeal.... you can do it very low maintenance in a crock pot even! do a build your own oatmeal bar. nuts, fruits, yogurt, peanut butter ... endless.

ditto w/ salds. ditto w/ pizza's. like, mini pizza. whole wheat bagel, whole grain English muffin
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Salads are sooo easy & quick to make! Bake/grill several chicken breasts ahead of time & just slice one up to add to your salad, or add some cooked pinto beans. My family loves a black & white bean salad. It's a matter of opening cans, draining beans, chopping a tomato, stalk of celery & a bit of onion and adding olive oil & a bit of vinegar, salt & pepper. Total time: maybe 5 minutes.

You could also utilize a crock pot to do all the cooking for you, just put the healthy ingredients in it & that's all you'd have to do: roast chicken & veggies; stew or chili; salsa chicken, etc. You can even bake sweet or white potatoes in a crock pot!

It takes the same amount of time to cook a skillet meal or stir fry from scratch as it does to make a box of Hamburger Helper. If you double up some meals when cooking and freeze one, you have your own homemade frozen dinner. There are many ways to eat healthy w/o spending hours cooking
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Like the previous poster, I double or triple my recipes when I cook, and then freeze the rest in containers for meals another week. If I make ground turkey spaghetti sauce, or chili, I have spares in the freezer. If I am roasting a whole chicken, I might as well put two in the oven, bone the 2nd one and freeze it in a ziploc bag to use for another meal, another day. Soups freeze well, I make healthy whole grain cookies and muffins and freeze them to add to lunches or for quick breakfasts.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:51 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Buy frozen, chopped vegetables. They can be used for a quick stir-fry over brown rice; mixed with whole grain pasta, sauce and a little cheese.

Buy canned lentils and beans instead of cooking them yourself (though this doubles or triples the cost)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• When I make chicken breasts I make enough for at least two meals. Left overs can be shredded to make chicken salad, pot pie, soup, stew, casseroles, etc.

When I have leftover pasta salad, I give it a make over by adding leftover chicken, some extra vinaigrette and spread into a greased casserole dish, top with cheese and bake until bubbly You have a completely different meal!

If you have left over meat sauce (for spaghetti) use some veggies like carrots, zuchini, onions, green and red peppers and roast until tender. Add to meat sauce and simmer a bit. Fill buns with meat mixture and a sprinkle of cheese. Wrap each sandwihch in foil and bake for about 10-15 minutes. Buns should be toasted outside, cheese melted inside. Kind of like a healthier sloppyjoe!

Just think outside the box!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:44 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Get a crockpot or a grill, google, easy to make meals
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 29, 2010