I just asked about a putting baby oil in my toddlers ears?

My son has been running a fever and yesterday the doctor said he he had alot of build up in his ears and to put a couple drops in his ears once a week, i'm only considering it because i am afraid to use q tips and his dr told us to do it but i've never heard of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know they make earwax removal kits for that purpose, and if it's dr recommended, give it a try.
    We've never used anything but a q-tip after bath time.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of that either. He should have prescribed you ear drops, I would think. Peroxide is good too, it helps bubble out the build-up. Hope your little man feels better!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• hmm never heard of baby oil in ears. why didnt he prescribe anything?
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 9:11 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You are NOT supposed to put peroxide in your ears. That is something that was done before Dr.s learned the risks and damage it could do.
    Anonymous

• they make speacial qtips fr little kids,we clean my 21 month olds ears once a week
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:14 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I dont think I would pour it in there. If the doc said to do I would start with putting some on a q-tip & running it around the outside. He may have said to do it so the wax wouldnt stick to the ear walls.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Did he say baby oil? I have a friend that uses an olive oil mixture when her kids have ear infections.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• There are ear wax removal kits available in the pharmacy section. It comes with an oil in a dropper bottle. use the oil for several days to soften the wax. Then flush the ears with water using the bulb syringe.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Usually ear canals are self cleaning, the wax works it way out on its own. If his ears are having a problem cleaning themselves out, the baby oil should soften the wax and make their job easier. You are right to be weary of q-tips. Since there is buildup already, a q tip could push the wax deeper into his ear and make it worse. Hope your little one is better soon.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:06 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I didn't know peroxide was bad to use on your ears. Every once in a while I'll put some on a q-tip and clean my ears with it. Haven't had any issues, but thanks!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:29 PM on Mar. 29, 2010