do u buy different kinds of milk?

if so, what and for who/why?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 9:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I buy whole milk, hormone free, from a local dairy, about a gallon a week. Also, I buy two 13 qt tins of whole, powdered milk a month. My husband drinks the liquid milk, my son and I use the powdered. Also use it for baking and cooking. If my husband wants chocolate milk, I make it by the glass with homemade chocolate syrup.
    We get half and half and whipping cream occasionally when making ice cream.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I buy 2 percent for my husband and older son, whole for my younger two, they are super skinny and can use the extra fat. When I feel like drinking milk I buy skim for myself.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:30 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Yes. I buy 1% for myself and my dad. I buy soy milk for my husband and my daughter because they're lactose intolerant. My dad and I aren't, and since I don't have to drink soy, I won't. I don't like the taste of soy milk anyway.
    Anonymous

• I buy 2% for my DH because he loves his milk & the 2% is better for him than the whole milk. My son is allergic to dairy, so I buy him milk substitutes. I use different kinds for different things, too. For example, my son likes to drink Dari-Free, but I prefer to bake with almond, hazelnut or hemp milks. He'll also drink the almond milk, but only if I get him the chocolate flavor. I don't care for milk, so don't drink it or buy anything special for myself, obviously.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• 1 or 2% for DH and I. Whole milk for my 1 1/2 year old dd. Because adults don't need and shouldnt drink the extra fat in whole milk but children under a certain age need it for development.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:34 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• my DH and I get store brand whole for the kids, generally without the hormones added.
    and a few times a month we get FANCY and DELICIOUS whole in glass bottles from a local creamery, sometimes organic but usually not

we usually have some buttermilk on hand for pancakes, 1/2 and 1/2 for baking and heavy whipping cream for potatoes and stuff

my husband sometimes buys himself lowfat chocolate (cows) milk and i get chocolate almond milk for the kids. we also keep rice milk or Silk around for when the kids have colds or asthma flare ups, since cows milk makes them worse.

we're big dairy people, LOL!
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:39 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• For now it's 2% for the boys and DH, cuz we're still getting wic for the little one. Although after they cut him off at age 5 next winter we'll be drinking either more soy or probably almond milk. I detest milk...I can't drink it without vomitting. DH isn't too crazy about the idea..but he'll get used to it. lol He doesn't drink that much anyway, and then mostly on cereal.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• My husband and sons drink the store brand of milk (2%) and I drink organic milk (whole). For whatever reason they are intimidated by the word organic.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• We mix things up: rice, soy, hemp...

Answer by rkoloms at 6:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Yep soy, vanilla or chocolate, im working on going vegan (vegetarian right now) so i cut cows milk out. my boys will drink soy but it has to be flavored
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 29, 2010