How do I ask my 2 yr old about abuse?

I'm scared my 2 and 1/2 yr old daughter may be being molested. I am not sure who could do this to her, or why. I am divorced, and her father sees her approx once every 2 weeks. He has a girlfriend and new son. Her babysitter is my sister, and no one else spends time alone with her. She asked me today to "Put my finger in her butthole." She asked 3 times before I believed she had actually said that. She has always been curious, and I know it could be a stage, but it's passing normalcy at every turn, from flashing random people, to knowing exactly what sex is, to asking people to touch her private place. I have attempted to schedule her a Dr. Appt. But can not until tomorrow morning. She is VERY bright, with an extensive vocabulary for a 2 yr old, but that doesn't mean she UNDERSTANDS all of what I am asking, or what it means when she's saying things. How can I ask if someone is hurting her? How can I protect my daughter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Kids' Health

• YOU don't. You take her to the doctor and let them do their job. If you talk to her and lead her in anyway, you could mess up any possible court cases. Call the doctor and let them know what was said and what you are worried about and they will take care of it in a professional and developmentally appropriate way. Also, if there is suspected abuse, the doctor is LEGALLY obligated to file a complaint with DCFS.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• That's tough. The most you can do is ask her who taught her to say that.
    Anonymous

• Anon, the candy corn thing may be funny on NON-serious questions but you are completely ignorant when it comes to a 2 year old being molested..

I would just ask her "has somebody been doing those things to you?" and get her to the doctor. I'm sure a 2 year old has no sense of lying and if she is willing to say things like she is, she will be willing to give you a yes or no to that question. That poor girl should not be subjected to such actions.
    Anonymous

• *ASKER'S RESPONSE*

I did ask. She told me her mommy. I am her mommy, and I know dang good and well, it wasn't me. As I said, her father has a girl friend, and a child with that girlfriend, and I am alarmed it is happening there. When I persisted in asking, she feigned exhaustion and pretended to be asleep. She then changed the subject to Pat a Cake. She doesn't want to talk about it. That isn't like her either, she's VERY talkative, and open, which makes me worry someone has told her not to discuss it...
    Anonymous

• I would stop pushing the issue tonight. She may be pulling away from being pushed. Easyer said then dont I know. Of course you want to know. I would take her to the doc in the morn and get the docs help with this.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Something is up then. Definately get her to a doctor and try to prohibit further visitation to anybody until this mess is cleared up.
    Anonymous

• You could take her to the doctor and maybe talk to a child psychologist at the police station. I hope that everything turns out alright. I cant imagine what you must be going thru
    oogiesmommy

Answer by oogiesmommy at 10:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You need to get your child professional help.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• well since you asked her and got an answer now is not the time to make nice with the ex and his girlfriend. Be diret and ask them. Get her to a doctor and see what he says. Then pop in over at the ex's house and ask them face to face just don't bring th child. Then let them know tings have been put in place. Gauge their reactons. Overly defense will not be a good sign.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Is it possible that she overheard her dad & stepmom talking dirty in bed?
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2010