Raised Catholic- but not happy and want to get back to church

i need to start carrying myself to church again- i stopped when i got pregnant. I was raised Catholic and I love the seriousness of the church, but i hate all the RULES. to be honest they are ridiculous. im not sure if you all know all the rules they have. But i love the atmosphere i feel a sense of peace when i leave and i have tried two different baptists churches but i just dont get that feeling when i leave. i dont know what to do. I want a church that is like the Catholic church in its seriousnes and respectfulness and routine order and its whole feel- without some of the crazy rules they have. Do you know Elizabeth can't even be baptised unless not only I am a regular church goer, but also barry, AND two god parents... there is no one here i would want to be God parents that are Catholic. Its so frustrating. Any suggestions on churches?

MamaHardy2008

Asked by MamaHardy2008 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Cont...
    As far as Godparents go. Only one needs to be Catholic and you only really need one Godparent. Talk to the priest or other church staff. Yours is a common problem that they are used to dealing with and they may have some really helpful suggestions. Join one of the groups here on Cafemom for Catholic moms. Many members have dealt with the same things and may also have answers that could help you. Either way this should not prevent you from starting to attend mass and other church activities so you can start to get to know people in the church.

The church is still open to you and your family even though you haven't had your daughter Baptised yet.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:28 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Mormon churches are very nice and very welcoming of visitors. Same as JW churches.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:08 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• united methodist churches seem to be very welcoming to anyone
    Anonymous

• I agree that the JW Kingdom Hall's are extremely welcoming.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 10:20 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• One parent needs to be Catholic and you only need ONE practicing Catholic Godparent. If you have somebody in mind that you want as a Godparent and they can't physically be present on that day you can have somebody stand in during the actual Baptism for them and they still get the title and responsibility. Have you spoken with anybody in your Church about the "rules" you have issues with? I'm just wondering because sometimes they can be a little hard to understand or not explained well and that can cause confusion etc.
    Anonymous

• Call around different churches do things differently.

Baptism is a serious sacrament, where you as a parent,  promise to raise your daughter in the church. This shouldn't be something you take lightly, neither does the Church. I have never found that there are too many rules. These are deeply held beliefs in the church.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:27 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• i agree with the first poster. the church of jesus christ of later days saints will make you feel peace and longing to know more. go to lds.org and put in your zip code and it should list all the churhces near your home.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Aren't the Lutherans like "Catholic Light"?
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 29, 2010