Horror Stories

I'm 6 weeks pregnant, my husband wants to announce our pregnancy to his family this week, but I'm nervous. We haven't had our first doctor appointment yet. It's schedules for the 22nd of April. I keep hearing all these horror stories about miscarriage and women that think they're pregnant and their bodies believe their pregnant but when they go to the dr. all they find is an empty sac, and it scares me! I didn't worry this much with our first son, but we didn't know until I was almost 10 weeks pregnant so I didn't have to deal with much of the "worrisome" stage. Any advice to help ease my worries?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't know what to say to ease your worries besides just know things will be ok.
    Personally tho I would at least wait til your first appointment. Just so you two can see for yourselves that things are going great!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I'm sure everything is fine!!! Go ahead and tell people ... I know I couldn't wait 3 weeks to tell everyone :)

"Clinical miscarriages (those occurring after the sixth week LMP) occur in 8% of pregnancies" ... got that from wikipedia ... puts it in perspective...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• If your not comfortable telling people then don't. simple as that. God forbid anything happen to you sweet baby but take it from someone who has been through what your talking about, its easier to not have to "untell" people. Do whats right for you. If your not comfortable with it then your DH should understand. GL!!
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 10:51 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Clinical miscarriages (those occurring after the sixth week LMP) occur in 8% of pregnancies" ... got that from wikipedia ... puts it in perspective...
    Really?I didn't know that. I had 3 back to back between 7 and 9 weeks
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• me either. I've never had a MC... I'm sorry to hear that :( ... I was just trying to find something to make her worries go away, sorry if I made you feel bad :(
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I think a lot of women wait until they are out of the first trimester to announce their pregnancy. After the 3rd month, the risk of having a miscarriage drops significantly. I couldn't wait that long to tell people, but I did wait until after my first doctor's appointment...just to make sure everything looked good and that there was an actual baby there. I've never had a miscarriage so I don't know first hand, but I would imagine it would be extrememly hard having to "untell" everyone if God forbid something happened, or if there wasn't a baby in the sac, or something like that. I mean, I would at least wait until after the first doctor's appointment if I were in your shoes. But its your life and your decision. If you don't want to tell people yet, then you shouldn't have to. Talk to your DH.
    Anonymous

• Well I understand that your SO is excited and wants to yell it to the world but you are the one who will have to deal with all the people not knowing what to say and acting like they are scared to talk about thier kids around you if you have a MC. I went through it on my first pregnancy and honestly it made it a lot harder that EVERYONE knew. I think it's great when people tell everyone but I do also think it should be your choice because it will affect you a little more as far as with having other poeple know about it. It's only a few more weeks to wait till you're chances of a MC go WAY WAY down I don't see how it can be that hard to just wait till then. In anycase though I think you should just wait until you are comfortable with other people knowing :) but I really do believe that things will be just fine! and best of luck to you with everything
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 11:21 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I would also try to wait to tell everyone, but I'm someone who had to untell everyone the first time. Definitely no fun. I had a m/c at 8 weeks. As hard as it is to wait, it can be your special little secret til then. Ever since, we have waited until after we got to hear the heartbeat to tell everyone else.

I would try to talk to your hubby and explain your concerns and why you want to wait, because I definitely think you should both be completely comfortable telling people before you do. Or you could try to compromise a bit and say you'll tell some people (maybe parents, close family) and wait to make a big official announcement until you are farther along.
    RoniV

Answer by RoniV at 12:54 PM on Mar. 30, 2010