How can I get my 6 week old to sleep at night?

My 6 week old son has recently confused his days and nights. We've started a bedtime ritual of bath, lotion, pjs, story and nursing in his darkened room around 8-9pm and then rock him for a few minutes 'til he falls asleep however he wakes a few minutes later. My Dr suggested we let him cry it out. We tried for a week so far and over the past few days it's actually become more difficult. My son will literally cry/fuss from just about the time he goes down 'til about 6am (with us checking on him periodocally and changing/nursing him every few hours) but he just won't sleep at night. Crying isn't tiring him out and come morning all he wants to do is sleep all day. Once he's up for his 7am ish feeding I turn on the lights, change his clothes and move to a different room but unfortunatley all he wants to do is sleep all day and we really have a tough time waking him up for more than a feeding. Please help. Thanks in advance.

ryansmom2010

Asked by ryansmom2010 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what to tell you, but don't let your 6 weeks old baby CIO ... that's just awful :(

I'm sure your baby will figure it out soon enough
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• You cant
    awelling

Answer by awelling at 10:52 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• he is only 6 weeks... he will change in time I was fortunate mine started sleeping at night then but not because I made them but because it just happened. Most babies dont sleep all night for a few months!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Keep it noisy and bright during the day, and quiet and dark at night. It'll take time, but it'll eventually happen. CIO isn't a good idea, especially for a baby THAT young.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• OMG I can't believe that your ped actually told you to let your 6 week old newborn cry it out. that is just cruel and disgusting to do to a tiny newborn. Have you tried cosleeping?
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 10:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Babies really don't have a concept of a bed time ritual till they are about 3 months old. They sleep when they want up until then. You just may have to grin and bare if for now. Try to keep him up longer times and sleep shorter during the day perhaps.
    JackJacksMomma

Answer by JackJacksMomma at 11:04 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I have a 2 month old son who is breastfed, we've been co-sleeping since he was born. I can't imagine letting him cry all night long! Terrible.
    Fuzzys_mommy

Answer by Fuzzys_mommy at 11:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• if you're going to try the cry it out method, wait until he is much older. I agree that you should make day and night very clear. The only problem is that he is stil so young. Just be patient and it will get better soon.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:44 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• I think breastfeeding makes it much harder to get a full nights sleep for a baby. I agree w/ alot of the other moms to help establish night & day. CIO doesnt seem to be working- & the baby seems to spend most of the night awake crying- @ this point Id say do a little rocking & such so he is able to get some sleep @ night so you can keep him awake more during the day. You may not be getting much sleep- but it doesnt sound like your getting much anyhow.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:58 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• CIO advocates say NOT to do it until at least six MONTHS. So no more, OK?

Sleeping through the night is a mere five hours straight and often isn't achieved till well into year one. At this point., you're doing all the right things. Only thing you need to change is your expectation. It's gonna be a while. Broken sleep is one of the guarantees of the Mommy Contract.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:38 AM on Mar. 29, 2010