Have you heard about baby Houston Tracy?

Houston Tracy is a baby that was born a couple of weeks ago. He has a heart condition and was denied health coverage because of a pre-existing condition.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/289702

JAIRATRACI

Asked by JAIRATRACI at 11:10 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i would like to know how a greedy insurance company can say that a newborn has a preexisting condition. that its a bunch of BS just so they dont have to pay out anything. I am so glad that is one things obama covered in his health bill is that all people can get health coverage and can not be denied because of so called preexisting conditions. and for those of you that think that the governmeant has not right to dip into health care i have news for you what do you think medicaid and medicare is. ALL children should be covered with some type of health care no matter what. and if the private insurants wont cover them then the state medical should step in and take care of it no matter what the household income is. children dont ask to be sick children cant help make themselves feel better and a newborn certainly cant control what defects it may have. insurance companies are nothing but greedy #@#$%holes.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• that is so freaking sad! I hope he gets health care coverage soon no baby should suffer just because a health insurance doesnt want to pay out
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:24 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• That doesn't mean this baby wouldn't get care. The baby would be on medicaid like other special needs kids. Unless you are worried that a government run health program wouldn't give good healthcare???
    Anonymous

• Anon: I know exactly what kind of health care the government run health care is. My kids are on medicaid. I think that it is horrible that an insurance company would refuse a baby for a preexisting condition. If this baby got medicaid then all the women on here would be throwing a fit about paying to take care of someone else's kid as they always do.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:40 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• How did he suffer?! He GOT the operation!!! The argument NOW is WHO is going to pay for it?!?!? WHY didn't the parents , who happen to own a $350,000 home and had their other TWO children covered by health insurance, NOT insure this latest member of the family?!

As all of you know, S-CHIP covers 3 times the poverty level for children who are in need. And secondly, since the parents HAD the money, why were they being so freakin cheap about adding their newborn--even as an unexpected premie, they had 31 DAYS following delivery to add their child to their existing health insurance plan!

How things change when you get the WHOLE story!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:24 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• LoriKeet, do you have a link for the family's financial info? I have read several stories about this baby & have yet to find one that mentions the size of their house or their financial status.
    I did find another story mentioning that BC/BS will only accept a newborn without an eligibility assessment if the PARENTS are covered (not the other 2 kids), which would mean that BC/BS could very well have rejected the baby's assessment of eligibility. The stories I have found have said that the parents are not covered because they cannot afford health insurance for themselves, only their children. I sincerely doubt that they have $250,000 (or more) lying around to pay for their baby's surgery. When all is said & done (surgery, recovery, etc.), it will probably be a lot more $$ than that.

Personally, it doesn't really surprise me. I have had BC/BS of TX before, & it was an uphill battle to get them to pay for anything.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 9:09 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• So sorry this baby was sick when born but it looks to me like the system is working here. Life has a lot of bumps along the way and just as the laundry who burns your blouse is a pain, healthcare can also be such on a grander scale. BC/BS worked with these people and found that by enrolling the child in the TX Ins Pool plan they could cover the child. Had they not done that these people may not have thougth of it or may have gone through much more before finding a solution. I admire the father for not flipping out as the authors of this article. People need to stop demonizing when something doesn't go their way. Looks to me like this baby will be taken care of and this family will not suffer a hardship like the last sentence in this article refers. Looks like this family will not be battling the insurance co. as the ladies who wrote this article would like you to think.
    I have BC/BS and haven't had problems.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Anyway, it seems the hospital was at was not worried about doin the surgery before getting the proof the baby had insurance. They would not have refused the surgery and they would have used their own charity money if they found the child could not be covered. These are things the government and those for this healthcare debacle always fail to tell you.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:32 PM on Mar. 29, 2010