How can I get some experience doing event planning?

I would love to one day open up my own business as an event planner. The problem is that I don't feel that I have enough experience to open my own store just yet. The only experience that I have is with my own son's birthday parties and with Career Fairs from a previous job. There are no event planning businesses in my town, so I can't do any apprentice type things. Any advice or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Mar. 28, 2010 in Money & Work

• Volunteer
    Anonymous

• Take classes & get your certification in event & wedding planning. That's what I'm doing. You can do it online, or in class at your local community college. Also, do it freelance at cost or at a very low cost for family, friends & friends of friends, or volunteer, to get experience & build your portfolio. Make sure you get lots of pictures of your creations along the way & get letters of references from everyone you plan for. Also, start building relationships with a variety of vendors & tap into their experience & get some ideas from them. You'll want to have a list of reputable vendors to work with that have different price ranges. Best Wishes to you...

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:53 PM on Mar. 28, 2010

• Contact local event planners and offer to intern with them.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2010