easter/christmas not for believers?

My MIL called me today and asked if she can send the kids chruch clothes, I said no because we don't go to chruch and I told her I don't believe. My hubby does and my children are way to young to understand the whole god stuff (2 yrs and 8 months old) She then started to bitch me out saying we shouldnt even celebrate christmas or easter since we dont believe in god. Why do you have to believe in him in order to celebrate? Christmas has a fat jlly old man and easter has a bunny. I know both hoildays do have something to do with relgion.
Do you think you should believe in order to celebrate this hoildays?
BTW I will allow my children to go to chruch if they choose to do so, i will not pass what i believe on them i want them to make up their own minds when it comes to this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i dont care when jesus died or rose or what relgion started what and I KNOW that bunnies, eggs and jolly old saint nick has NOTHING to do with the REAL meanings. So dont try and educate me when i obviosuly said I dont believe and asnwer the question
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Heh, you should tell her the orgins of those holidays. That would really tic her off. LOL
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I think your MIL needs to shut her trap. If she has a problem with it, she should have talked to your dh about it. I think if you don't believe in God, there is a completely secular side to every holiday, so it isn't a big deal.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Nowadays I doubt there are people who sit down & are like lets celebrate Chistmas its such a good time to sit & read the bible & talk about Jesus. BULLSHIT. Its about food & presents. Wheres the religion in that?

I agree with you- It is what it is & if your husband believes that I wouldnt keep your kids from his traditions!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:12 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Life-long atheist here. We celebrate Santa and the Easter Bunny in my household. I enjoyed those traditions as a child, so I incorporated it into our lives in a secular manner. Many christians are perfectly content with using and perpetuating the aspects of both holidays that were "borrowed" from religions that preceded theirs. In my opinion, that's basically what we are doing, as well. There is no harm in it. Your mil is just being a bitch. Ask her to kindly remove the stick, or invite her to sit so it can shoved up further.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:13 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I am not an unbeliever However I don't go to church often and my kids only do for certain fun occasions. I want to allow my kids the freedom to makes their own choice in religious beliefs. So I say it is none of mommys business. Or in my friends words,"Mommy got a chance to screw up her kids. She can't have mine to" Their your kids it's none of her business if you take them to church or not.
    Now as for the holidays. Considering they are borrowed holidays and originally Christian let alone are they truly Christ's birth date or date of resurrection. As well as the fact that 99% of people believers or not celebrate these religions then I say she is just trying to upset you.
    Believer or not you have ever right to celebrate the holidays I hope it gets better for you.:)
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• In my home, we celebrate the true meanings of Easter and Christmas, and the Christina beliefs as well, for MIL's sake. It's your family, so raise them as you see fit.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• We celebrate christmas as a time for family and giving. It is a very special holiday for us but it is not religious. Easter without religion is kinda dumb to me. It pains me to take her to see a big rabbit, walking on its hind legs with a goofy smile that doesnt move..Heck, they just put gloves on.. a rabbit with man hands..but i do.. *sigh* and it is all about decorating easter eggs and hunting for your basket.

Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 12:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Sorry not originally Christian.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Well in all reality Christmas is the day Jesus was born and Easter is the day Jesus rose from the dead. That is the true meaning of those holidays and many people believe like that but society has taken Jesus out of them and it is wrong to me and many others! I know you said you don't believe in God and that's your choice and you are doing the right thing in letting your baby's make their own decisions. I do celebrate all Holidays (except Halloween) but I make sure I explain the meaning of the Holiday to the kids! Everybody has different beliefs but you are a good parent to let your children make their own decisions about God as they get older!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Mar. 29, 2010