Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving to another state please help!!

Hello I am moving to another state in a few days with my son. Last week me and his dad got into a really big argument (everyday is a arugment) so i decied to stay with my mom for a few day and i got a ticket to florida. When I left i told him that i was moving to florida and he was like watever(he didnt take me seriously) so I am leaving in a few days and i really dont know how to let him no that i really got the ticket and that i really am leaving to antoher state. I still want him to be in his sons life and i dont mind coming up with a parenting plan. Me and him have talked about me leaving and going to florida (i have family down there) and sometimes he says its ok and we agree and other times he is like i dont want you to. I really dont no if this is going to be a permant move but I no i have to get out of the environment I'm in. How should I go about this and what should i say?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (5)
  • if he doesnt really believe you thats he's problem, the only problem you have is taht your taking his son with you to another state and that can cause problem if he takes you to court over it. You really need to put it in his head now that your going and if he has a major problem with it you may have to go through court to really get premission to move his son to another state. I hope it doesnt get that far for your sake and you two can work it out. Good luck.

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:15 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • I'd be careful here, he can take you to court, and in some places could even end up with custody if you leave the state. The court could also force you to pay all transportation costs for court ordered visitation. I'd get legal advice before making such a move. Good luck!

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:28 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • You said enough. Now go and get on with your life. He'll be a part of your son's life if it's important to him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • she is his legal guardian, she can take him wherever and whenever she wants. it's not kidnapping. he doesn't believe you? when you leave, make sure to leave a note for when he gets home, i'd write "went to florida- bye".but that's what i'd do. he'll call you if he wants it to work out and/or be in your sons life.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

  • at the very least you should get it in writing that he agrees to the move

    but, to be honest, you need to consult with an attorney before you take the child out of state. the other post is right, he could take you to court and gain custody.

    good luck!

    Answer by sheilaj817 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.