Is there anything other than epidural for labor pains?

With my first I had an epidural and every since then I have had back problems and pains. I am kind of scared to go natural so wondering if there is any other alternative? Or will I just have to go natural? Thank you.

LovinLife10123

Asked by LovinLife10123 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pregnancy

• STATOL or STADOL I cannot remember how it is spelled. Its administered through your IV. Makes you feel drunk. I did not like & would NEVER get it again. It did not relieve pain, just made me relax.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Since you have about three months left, I would suggest reading the book "Husband Led Childbirth" By Dr. Bradley. I loved that book. Your birth partner does not need to be your SO, just someone who knows you really well and can help you through it.
    Or you can see about hiring a Doula. They help with labor and are a mother's advocate, so she gets the labor she wants.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• yeah they have one they put in your iv that makes you feel loopy and like your floating but it wont do you any good when it comes to pushing its only there to help with the contractions
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• they gave me demoral i think, but it wears off and they only can give it you up to a certain point and its not as effectie as an epidual i think, it just sometimes takes the edge off a little
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 12:30 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I should say that I was given a shot of Nubain while in labor with my first, and it was horrible and only helped with a couple of pains. It just wasn't worth it. So I went pain med free for my other two births. It is doable!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• There are narcotics through the IV but to be 100% honest I had one epi birth and one natural birth with Hypnobabies. My natural birth was by far the best out of the 2. It was so amazing that I can't wait to go through the birthing process again with our next child.

You can also use a Tens Unit.

There are really a LOT of options out there but I HIGHLY recommend checking out Hypnobabies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Nubain...It was AMAZING!! I still felt the contractions but it completely took the edge off. They just felt like strong mentral cramps. I was able to sleep between and mostly just felt the contraction when it was at it's peak.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Has anyone had any back pains or problems from a past epidural, just curious?
    LovinLife10123

Answer by LovinLife10123 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• My husband was given an epi for the removal of a cyst when he was 17. He still has severe back pain and there is a knot where it was.

Also my best friend's sister had an epi during labor and the doctor placed it wrong. It caused her to become blind within hours of labor because it caused damage to the spinal sac or something.

I'm sure both of the cases were part of the .00000000001% of people this happens to but that's just the people I know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I wanted a natural birth, but (long story) i was given something in my IV. IDK what it was, but i still felt everything, it just made me crazy. I could not remember anything from 1 min. to the next.. The clock was right in front of me. I seen it, i kept looking at the time, but i could never remember what the time HAD been! :( and NO ONE would tell me how long Id been in labor! I felt totally out of control! It was worse than being drunk! (the drug wore off the last hr of labor).

I say educate yourself about childbirth & overcome the fear.. its really all about the fear! We are taught from birth that birth is painful. its like the "tied elephant"- you tie a baby elephant to a poll, after a while he doesnt even try to fight it.

Read Ima Mays Guide to Natural Childbirth! Look into bradley method. research it all!! You CAN do it! Join natural birthing groups on CM. I promise, if you go natural you will NOT regret it.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 29, 2010