Easte bunny will be outgrown, but How to explain why the Christians stole Pagan holidays?

People worry "If I let my child believe in Santa & then they learn he is fake, they will question God."
But what about when you raise then Christian & they find out every holiday they grew up on is based around Pagan holiday & tradition...

Would that not hurt them more so?!!!!! Raise MORE questions?!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christian holy days were not stolen from pagan holidays. Now there are many cultural practices that have roots in paganis - the names for days of the week, wearing wedding rings, and the like. But those a different than the religious observance of a Holy Day. If a family has traditions like having a family meal, visiting relatives or hiding easter eggs there's nothing wrong with it as long as it doens't replace the religious observances. And for Catholics (and most liturgical Christans like Anglican or Lutherans) have more than Holy Days - they have seasons. God made the world with seasons and so there are liturgical seasons to reflect that. So there's Lent leading up to Easter and the Easter sasons which lasts more than just Easter day. So our faith shouldn't be practiced on a single holy day but incorporated into our every day life.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:12 PM on Mar. 29, 2010

• didn't for me, but I learned the real history, the entire history not just the stuff we hear on CM
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Depends on if you isolate your children from this knowledge. My children will be raised with knowledge and true history of each religion. So I don't think it will affect them. How ever kids who are sheilded from this knowledge may be greatly affected when they find out.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• People worry "If I let my child believe in Santa & then they learn he is fake, they will question God."

So...let them question. If you are secure and knowledgeable in your faith, you can answer them.

Because my parents were so open in their faith and open to my questions, it didn't bother me when I found out the pagan roots of many of the rituals surrounding our holidays. I thought they were interesting.
    AissasMom

Answer by AissasMom at 12:58 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• An insightful and educated mom, wow those are hard to come by on this site. So happy for your children!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:00 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Just to clarify, I was NOT being sarcastic at all.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• I honestly do not believe Christians stole things from pagans but it was pagans that perverted what was originally God's .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:29 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

Christians did borrow things from pagans. It is not some thing that can be believed or not it is facts that have been proven. You can't except it that is a difference.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:41 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• aww! Thank You Truthteller! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Shaneagle God plainly told Israel NOT to use acts of worship for Him that the nations did for their gods,
    Jehovah through Moses warned the Israelites about what to avoid once they entered the Promised Land. “Watch out for yourself for fear you may be entrapped after them, after they have been annihilated from before you, and for fear you may inquire respecting their gods, saying, ‘How was it these nations used to serve their gods? And I, yes, I, will do the same way.’ You must not do that way to Jehovah your God.” (Deuteronomy 12:30, 31)

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:39 AM on Mar. 29, 2010