How do I introduce the new kitten to my older cat?

I have a 2 yr old cat and I don't no how to introduce the 8 week old kitten to her. I brought home the kitten tonight b/c she has hip problems and no one wanted her.
Thanks!

MuddyHuggies

Asked by MuddyHuggies at 1:14 AM on Mar. 29, 2010 in Pets

• Whenver you bring home a new cat/kitten, you should always keep them seperated for at least a week until the new cat has gotten used to their new surrounds and the people in the house. The other thing to consider is that this kitten is still to young to be tested for feline aids and leukema and unless you know the statis of the mother you should not let them be around each other any way until the kitten can be tested. If a kitten is tested before 9 weeks you won't get an acurrate results.  The other thing is if this kitten has issues with her hips I would want to keep them seperated until that is figured out so that the adult doe not accidently hurt the little one.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:27 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Try putting one of them in a crate and letting them sniff each other when both are safe. Or put them in separte rooms and let them sniff each other under the door.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 1:16 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Keep the kitten and litter in the bathroom for at least a couple days. Let older kitty smell from under the door and hear this kitten. Leave a blanket in with the kitten and after a couple days, bring it out and let the older cat smell it and get used to it. Then doing the crate thing is a good idea. This is what I learned from the Humane Society. You can also call them yourself or a vet tech at any animal hospital. For tonight, don't toss them together!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2010

• Thank you ladies. I have the kitten up stairs away from my older cat. Tomorrow I will do the crate thing.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 1:32 AM on Mar. 29, 2010